duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I have the water general 106 i believe which is a 5 stage unit with a water drinking filter thats never used. is there a mod which i can take off that water drinking filter to add on another DI resin chamber. if there is how do i do it and is there a link you can send me. i cant find anything

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Modding an R.O. unit is pretty easy if you know the plumbing. Some R.O. companies get a little creative with their plumbing but it all has to go in the same order so it's generally pretty close. Why do you want to add a second DI though?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Im thinking it may help with the cyano i always get.nothing i do gets rid of it. my po4 is 0 on hanna meter and trates are 2 with salifert. PLENTY of flow and im only feeding once per day. been like this since i started the tank. im hoping by adding the extra DI it will help

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Cyano doesn't work like that. Just because it's present in the tank doesn't mean it's going to grow all over the place. If you have visible patches of cyano in your tank it's because something is wrong but it can always be corrected.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
ive tried everything except going red slime way. every way that has been written,talked about,smoke signaled and morsed coded. i have so much flow in my tank some of my acros are making paddle to keep current from hitting them. i am now trying the coral snow with zeo bak and its not working. i figured i can just live with it but now its just pissing me off LMAO

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
that is why i am saying this i did the same thing i tried everything and the crap came back i used cyano solution and i havent seen it since i am like everyone else i do not want to put anything in my tank that im un sure of but after batteling this for so many months i tried it and it works

Last edited by a moderator:

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
only thing i THINK i lost was my pods ask mbg75 and angelo they have both used it i would not tell u to use something if i thought it would hurt ur tank i am dosing 180 mils of cal 155 of alk and 55 of mag a day to keep my #'s right on so im dosing also everyone thinks it is because of nutrients or phos or lack of flow it is like i virus u have to get it from some wher and how do u get rid of a virus with antibiotics

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Red Slime Remover is just antibiotics and shouldn't really have too much of an effect on whatever you are dosing but I would suspend the regular stuff for the days you need to complete the doses. The medication can drop PH and will kill off some of your bio so I would be careful of over feeding or adding anything new for a little while but otherwise it's safe and I've never seen any real issues when using it properly. However, red slime isn't caused by red slime, it grows when one of several tank parameters are off. Dosing the antibiotics will kill off the slime but it doesn't fix the real problem, you'll still need to eliminate the nutrients.

.... and I will do what I want. That's why I get paid to consult and work on major public aquarium jobs.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Lfsmarineguy i have excellent husbandtry and test my tank probably more then any one member on this site. Im in my tank every other week with a powerhead basting behind my rock work and feed very minimum food. Like i said all my parameters are on spot and i cant figure out where its coming from. Im suspecting my water supply and even though my tds meter reads zero i think something is coming through and thats where my problem lies i believe. Going to try another di chamber and see if that helps any :( like i also said its not out of control its in small spots

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I tried to remove cyano for nearly 5 months in my tank, I did absolutely everything. I did have high phosphates but even when i lowered them it wouldnt go away. I ended up just dosing a slime remover and it's been gone since.

I didn't loose anything. My pods, my cleaner shrimp babies, sps, everythig looks great.

I ran an air stone and continued my reverse fuge lighting period. Disconnect skimmer, gfo, carbon.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: