Rating - 100%
161   0   0
hey everyone need some advise on what to do, i have to move my 120 galon reef tank ,tomorrow morning i already have a 90 gal with a 40 gal sump set up at my dads were im movin the tank ,my question is how much of the old water should i reuse when i make the transfer and how much can i make new i have high nitrate in my tank? so i would like to make as much new as i can but how much is to much ?ive already mad 45 gallons of new water can i make more or would this shock everything any advise would help alot thanks

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I would do a 20% water change as part of the move. Don't stress the tank out too much the move is bad enough. Once the tank is settles in its new location start doing more water changes to get the levels back to normal.

+1

Like Rick said keep extra RO/DI and old tank water around, you always end up needing it.

Good luck with the move!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
charlie, depending on wether you love, or hate the sand you currently have would depend on my advice with this one.

If you love it, and are willing to do the extra work I would keep it. Of course since you will be disturbing it, (unless of course you got peeps that can transport the tank with all the sand in it), you will need to rinse it very well killing all of the good bacteria as well. I wish I had kept my old south down.;(
If you hate it, well then just throw it out, and start new.;) But you still have to rinse new sand, and you still won't have any good bacteria in. Plus you will be out a few $$$$.lol

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
dont need to rinse it if you have a filter, ive always re-used my sand, i switch it over and put in new tank add some water and get filter running, and keep stirring sand up, i used a diatom filter or a canister filter with a floss pad

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Charlie, I don't know how you plan to do this. But here is how I would do it:
1. I'd set up like 5 - 5 gallon buckets half filled with the old tank water.
2. Get a plastic collander.
3. Put some sand in the collander, starting with the 1st. bucket I would slowly dip the collander w/sand in to the water in the bucket. I'd then slowly swirl the sand around with my hand (careful not to dump sand back in to the bucket). From there I'd move on to the next, repeating the same until the last bucket. By the time you get to the last bucket the water should remain nice and clean.;) If not then set up another bucket or two.

If you need buckets let me know I can lend you some.:)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: