bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Table saw would be great but most dont have one , even i dont have one and i like to diy alot of things , finding a good one for a decent price that wont be used all that often is quite hard ! I found i was able to plane the tops of the 2x4s on my 90g in less than a half hour just being careful using the plane and some sand paper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Dan_P

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, wood work is not my day job. That's why I've been stressed out for like 2 days now. This is my first diy stand. My plan was to put 1x6 around the tank and stand to cover the plywood and the 2x4.
I was gonna trash this stand and build a new one. The 2x4's are fairly cheap. It'll only cost me $20. Rather than having a flood in my basement and loosing my live stock. My only thing is, I might encounter the same problem again.

If you are restarting here is something that might help. Plane the 2x4 edge before assembling. Use a long metal straight edge to check your progress. Buy a cheap 2 or 4 ft level from Home Depot as a straight edge. Then assemble the top upside down. That is put the planed edge on the floor or table and screw the corners together and flip it over and you will have a flat surface. Try this even if you plan on using plywood. Make sure both diagonals of the 2x4 are equal before completely screwing the top together.

Blast me a PM if you want to discuss any other building aspect. Happy to help if I can.

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Is your tank a 90 or 65 ? For a 3ft tank you only need 2x4s a ft tank with no center brace then use 2x6 , you shoukd still plane whatever 2x lumber you chose before assembling will make for tighter joints and a nice level top

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: