Rating - 100%
99   0   0
When I got home this evening my water temp was 90 degrees! I performed a water change and got the temperature dow to 80. Checked my heater and it appears ok (i left it off for now). I have a 14 gal Biocube standard set up no supplements. Which means everything in the tank fried! Xenia, polyps, Kenya tree, Mean Green are all closed tight.

Performed water test;

Calcium - 480 ppm, Hardness - 12dKH, Nitrate - 20 ppm, Phosphate - 0, PH - 8.2, Nitrite - 0, Ammonia - 0, Temp - 80, Gravity - 1.026.

Can anything be saved or is it just wait and see? Can I use any supplements? Does coral go into shock like fish and gradually come around?

Any suggestions!

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
A picture would help. Those corals are pretty resilient. When I had my Biocube I realized the lights added a lot to the temperature, especially because it is a closed lid set up and the water volume is so little.

How long are the lights on for. Also doesn't the heater shut off at a certain point automatically.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
It might not be anything wrong with your heater. Ambient room temp of 80 degrees can and will drive your biocube temp to about 86 to 88 degrees.
1) cool the room down or
2) add a chiller to the tank or
3) leave the feeding lid open 24/7 and add a fan to blow on the surface for evaporation cooling.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: