johncomp1

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hey everyone i have been reefing for about 3 years with ok success. i have recently decided the firs step would to improve my lighting. i have a ocianic 90 gallon bow front i had a simple t5 setup now I'm upgradeing to a duel 250w mh at 14000k and two antic t5's. i now feel that i should have got the 400w setup insted many say two 250w are more then plenty but i feel as deep as my tank is it may be a problem. I'm just looking for some advice/opinions thank you

johncomp1

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
im not too sure on what il be buying soon i had some soft corals that seem to come to a stand still in growth my parmiters are pefect as i had them checked. i also would love to start adding some stony corals but i know it would be rather impossiable with a few t5's i just want to make sure that two 250w mh are sufficient on a 90g bow. thanx again

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really don't understand what you want to do. I wouldn't get any MH lights at all. Do you want a reef tank? It doesn't matter if you want SPS tank. MH run too hot and you don't need them. You can with just T5 ATI bulbs. With a strip of LED lights added to lighting if cost of LED lights be to high. Do some research before buying. I have 90 gal running All SPS tank for a year. With 6 bulbs T5 with two strips of LED lights . I have good growth and nice color without the high bill and heat. I'm going all LED my next turn around. I would do it right the first time and then spend again. Long run it might be more money at first but you will save money if you do it right the first time. To many people think that the tank is to deep. Remember most reef tank you will have build it up with LR to about middle to tank.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Whenever I see the statement " my params are perfect, I had them checked " I'm always optimistic lol.

Where did you have your params tested? And what did they test? What is perfect? Are they stable between water changes?

250s are more than enough light...

Truthfully you could have tons of issues causing a halt in coral growth.

Temp swings, salinity swings, cal swings, ph/alk swings, old bulbs, not enough oxygen, fish or livestock irritating corals, corals stinging....the list goes on.

When corals grow they obviously use trace elements. Once corals get larger they deplete larger amounts. At this point the corals may only have enough to sustain life instead of growing.

How often do you change water? How many gallons? What's livestock like? Can you post a picture? How old are your bulbs? The list goes on.

I hope we can help you

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
I am running 2x250 Mh on 150 and they are growing my corals really good my tank is 30" high so unless ur 90 is different than all the other 90 I have seen ur good to go as far as heat issues my tank is in the basement and I have a chiller so i don't have to worry as much as some peeps and as far as t5s led and Mh goes Mh grow corals the fastest I been running Mh for while now and i will continue to run them I am not sold on all this led stuff yet

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Whenever I see the statement " my params are perfect, I had them checked " I'm always optimistic lol.

Where did you have your params tested? And what did they test? What is perfect? Are they stable between water changes?

250s are more than enough light...

Truthfully you could have tons of issues causing a halt in coral growth.

Temp swings, salinity swings, cal swings, ph/alk swings, old bulbs, not enough oxygen, fish or livestock irritating corals, corals stinging....the list goes on.

When corals grow they obviously use trace elements. Once corals get larger they deplete larger amounts. At this point the corals may only have enough to sustain life instead of growing.

How often do you change water? How many gallons? What's livestock like? Can you post a picture? How old are your bulbs? The list goes on.

I hope we can help you

+1 & post some pics..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: