juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
congrats on the new tank, look forward to seeing pics. a word on marco rocks......they need to be cured before adding it to your new tank, there are a lot of dried up organics trapped in that rock that needs to be cured before adding it to your tank.

i had to cure mine for over a month, the first 10 days the water was always brownish from all the crap that comes out.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Juice guy I wasn't referring to the living Macro Rock with the algae. There is also well what I know it as, a deifferent Macro Rock. It is very porous and sold as a base/lace rock. I'm not going to add any new live rock to the new tank, just all base rock.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Juice guy I wasn't referring to the living Macro Rock with the algae. There is also well what I know it as, a deifferent Macro Rock. It is very porous and sold as a base/lace rock. I'm not going to add any new live rock to the new tank, just all base rock.
From what I've been told. that Marco 'base' rock should also be cured...it is from an underground source in Florida (was an ancient reef, thousands of years ago), a state known for high phosphates.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Albano, you there are steps to it yes, not just a put in and go. It needs to be bleached then left in the sun for about a week to dry. Then put into fresh water with dechlorinator of some type and then let dry in the sun for another week. 2 weeks to do the same as a 4-6 week curing process. But that is just to remove loose items off the rock and anything harmful. You can not actually cure a base rock as their is nothing living on it to begin with.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: