Blue02celi

Wannabe reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello
I joined this site a few months ago when I was first looking into starting a FOWLR so figured I'd finally stop in and say hi, Im also a member of LIRA (altho I've never been to a meeting :cool: ). I've once again started looking into beginning a FOWLR tank recently, hopefully after the holidays I can get something started. I have a 55g tank just sitting around the house, but dont think I'll be using it for this project, me and my fiance have been looking into corner tanks or maybe a 40ish bow front (space is kinda limited in our living room, expecially for that 55g). So im hopin santa brings me a late christmas present, in the form or glass or acrylic (or the funds to make it so anyway :biggrinpa )

Blue02celi

Wannabe reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so Im planning on a FOWLR at first, and then maybe going with some coral, after I've got the live rock thing down and all established... is that a good way of going about it? as far as fish, im not looking at getting many, just a few like 4-5 (or thats what I say now anyway) I want to have something that just looks really nice rather than have a BUNCH of fish swimming around. As far as a tank, like I said before, we've been looking at corner tanks, but I've noticed lots of them make the cabinet space under the tank kinda weird when it would come to putting a sump under there, which was making me look more into a bowfront. sumps are just so all the equipment isnt seen right? I've noticed its always been very reccomended that you use a sump as it would make things easier so I assume I would just have to use one. Anyone have any reccomendations on a place for tanks? Im guessing just shopping around is my best bet, that and Im usually in the sell sections of the forums looking for others who are upgrading or getting out of the hobby to get decent equipment at cheaper prices. I figure if I get things all set up in the next 2 weeks or so I could just let the tank cycle for however long it needs and before I know it, tax season will be here, extra funds and more time to think about what exactly I want :)

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
A 92 corner is a nice sized tank yet doesn't occupy a lot of real estate. You're right about the cabinet size though. You should be able to fit a 20 gallon high or 15 gallon sump under a 92 corner without any issue.

Sumps are good! Not only can you hide all of your equipment but it opens up a world of skimmers that aren't available without a sump. In addition it increases your overall water volume and does wonders for aeration not to mention you can incorporate a refugium or additional live rock for added filtration.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would determine what size tank you are going to set up, then begin to think about what fish you're going to have.

Also, if you're thinking about eventually having coral, consider getting lighting appropriate for coral now so that you don't have to spend more later upgrading, and ensure that you don't fall in love with a fish that will munch on your corals.

Blue02celi

Wannabe reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was planning on something between the 30-45g range. I know lots of people say for beginners, bigger is better so if there is a mistake made, it wont affect as much (I was browsing vendors sites and came across a nano that looked nice, but I've always heard they arent for beginners) but I know I dont have the room for it, which is why Im not using my 55g... theres just no where to put it. Right now im really interested in just how it all looks, the colors and all (I say now because im sure eventually Ill see a fish or coral that I will just "have to have")

I realized I started looking at everything else I needed to get, skimmers, lights etc... and realized I wont be able to make a choice until I get, or stick to, a size of tank. I plan on going to some LFS's tomorrow, hopefully, and doing some more price shopping

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: