samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I worked on the construction of that college and collected my sea water there many times. Now I just collect it on the south shore of Long Island. I started my tank in 1971 with NSW and it is still running with no problems except for the occasional beach chair or hypodermic needle I inadvertently collect.

LOL Coney Island isn't as cracked out as it use to be 2 decades ago, come visit here some time it has changed a ton. I would think outer Long Island would have cleaner water since its farther out in the Atlantic and farther from pollutants coming out of the city. I really don't see any issues with the NSW besides parasites, and or certain trace elements.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Our water isn?t clear or ?blue? it?s murky Green some places less murky some more

The water our coral and fish come from is usually nice clear water sometimes you can see all the way to the bottom from the top

i personally would never use in a reef in a fish only i probably would not risk it either
Not even getting into the risk of parasites and bad bacteria or weird algae etc..

regular salt isint that expensive

It's a highly debatable topic, but to be honest natural sea water is natural, what we have in our tanks is just tap water with a lot more crap put in, hence why we need RODI, filtration etc. I don't disagree on you about the worth of losing livestock over a few dollars of salt mix, just saying the NY aquarium does it, kingsbrough does it, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. As for the color of our water, all waters clear, it's just the different types of algae that cause the blue or green coloration of the water. I personal don't use NSW and isn't trying to make a suggestion that we should all use it, I've had battles of ich when I first started my SW system and been through the hassle of hospital tanks, and medication, hypo, and I myself wouldn't want to risk introducing parasites into my system. I'm just answering OP's orignal question of could you. If I lived I'm Belize,or Maldives I would prolly just throw a sump pump into the ocean and plumb it straight to my tank and the drain straight out, parasites wouldn't be an issue since my tank would be actually just an extension of the sea.:spin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: