ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Saltwater from the ocean neer our beach is poluted you would need to go way out to get ?clean? saltwater and then you would need to filter out all the impurities

Our water isint the same kind of water you would find in fiji Hawaii etc it doesn?t have the trace eliments to keep a reef (at least thats what i have been told)

You can test the water and let us know what are the levels

Also if you change the title and don?t use the abbreviation you will get more hits

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Came here for pics.....

Left disappointed......

Attachments

• IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not sure how far out they were getting the water from, but they had mutiple tanks in the marine building, and I use to always hangout there in between breaks.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They didn't even filter the water out for the large shark tank, it was just dump and pump was what I was told from the maintance guys.

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've not tried or tested myself, but I'm sure Coney Island and sea gate water is fine since it's open waters from the Atlantic, I wouldn't trust water from under the Verrazano though. Fish only, softie tank pretty sure it really wouldn't be a problem, but pest, trace element, etc would be something to consider. For more delicate species, that's a different story, but to OP are you really sure you want to risk your expensive live stock for a couple dollars of salt? I can tell you, it hurts when you're tank crashes from failing chillers, to hurricane sandy and power outage for 4-5 days.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ahh Kings borough , i used to go to that college and look at the tanks all the time ! , i wonder if i went to coney island and ask about it, will they give me some ! thakns for the input

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Our water isn?t clear or ?blue? it?s murky Green some places less murky some more

The water our coral and fish come from is usually nice clear water sometimes you can see all the way to the bottom from the top

i personally would never use in a reef in a fish only i probably would not risk it either
Not even getting into the risk of parasites and bad bacteria or weird algae etc..

regular salt isint that expensive

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've not tried or tested myself, but I'm sure Coney Island and sea gate water is fine since it's open waters from the Atlantic, I wouldn't trust water from under the Verrazano though. Fish only, softie tank pretty sure it really wouldn't be a problem, but pest, trace element, etc would be something to consider. For more delicate species, that's a different story, but to OP are you really sure you want to risk your expensive live stock for a couple dollars of salt? I can tell you, it hurts when you're tank crashes from failing chillers, to hurricane sandy and power outage for 4-5 days.

hurricane sandy has flooded my home, my 150 g tank too, brought my motorcycle in my home too, nature just didnt show mercy that day. nearly died that day when my family went for a break in the car to a leave, stranded 3 blocks, went out to find them. mother nature is just RELENTLESS.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the waters from under the si bridge* old ages fisherman : only fish on incoming,never outcoming, old fishermen a pair of them husband and wife, ate fish for so long, caught there, under there feet, VERY BLUE. very very blue, still livin.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Personally i wouldn?t
Even if the water comes from open ocean anyone that has been on Coney Island beach can tell its polluted
In such a small closed system i dono i wouldn?t risk it
Nycearnestchink a test tank would be cool maybe make a thread out of it so others can learn as well

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
kingsborough community college uses natural salt water in their tanks, they just pump out/in water for water changes.

I worked on the construction of that college and collected my sea water there many times. Now I just collect it on the south shore of Long Island. I started my tank in 1971 with NSW and it is still running with no problems except for the occasional beach chair or hypodermic needle I inadvertently collect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: