b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
@BBASH-I agree with you 100%. A lfs doesn't care if your fish dies or not. They already collected your money plus with the fish dying you have to go and buy another one. Then on the other hand you see the prices live aquaria sells fish for. That's not including shipping. Usually with diseases and parasites they don't really show until after 30 days anyway. The copper stores use is not to treat its just to suppress. There copper is not at a therapeutic range

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Qt or not if a fish dies in 2 days with a proper acclimation it should be on the lfs. Qt can also be stressful on a fish. And it will only keep your DT from getting infected. I'm not saying you shouldn't but it's not going to stop mortality of new livestock.
LFS should be accountable to some degree.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sometimes we pick out a fish that looks healthy from outside but not knowing if a bacterial infection or a parasite disease is inside the fish. We can do somethings that can help our odds. First did you see if the fish was eating. I just bought a fish looked good eating died in 2 days. It happens to us time to time by try not to make it a habit. Other way pick the fish you like and tell the place to hold it for a week. Usually a diease pops up within a week. You would have better odds. We can blame LFS or ourself. But at time we can get a bad batch. Could be a lot of reasons.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I'm telling you buddy it's happening more often. Only 2 places I have had luck recently is place in jersey that opened back up not too long ago and a place in Yonkers. I even had a fish die and he replaced it for free. Wasn't no cheap fish either.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
There are too many factors that could be at play, and I don't think that calling out the LFS or blaming them should be the point.
Most livestock these days are sourced, collected, and distributed through very similar channels, if not the identical ones.

I never buy a fish that just came in on the first day, no matter how much I want it, or how good the price is.

I always ask, how long has the fish been in the store? Is it eating? Where did it come from? What is the current salinity is it in?

II buy my fish from select stores and I can tell you that I know what salinity they keep their tanks (Ranges from 1.015 to 1.018). And I also double check salinity level when I get home by testing with a salinity pinpoint monitor.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
It is my strong opinion that there is NO SAFE WAY to drip acclimate a fish from 1.015 to 1.025. Doing so could only lead to harmful or disastrous outcomes.
As such I QT every fish. And my QT when ready for new fish (from LFS) is always at 1.012.

Sent from my SM-NCC-1701C using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: