jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't look at a kitchen in total square footage, like drunktank said there are so many variables.

how many feet of cabinets, how much new flooring, what type of floor, plumbing, electrical work?
appliances. painting? what type of counters and how many square feet?

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Kitchen Reno's are expensive but they involve a lot of work and each job is custom depending on the grade of cabinets you get, extra pantry space you need etc... etc... I'm doing my kitchen in the spring when I've saved up enough money..

For example, I received a quote for the following ($28k):

(1) Completely gut out entire exisiting kitchen
(2) New drywall
(3) New Ceiling work
(4) Supply and Install Recessed Lighting
(5) Supply and Install custom cabinets approx. 12 linear feet
(6) Install Breakfast Area with cabinets
(7) Install granite countertops
(8) Demo dining room wall
(9) Relocate plumbing, electrical lines as needed
(10) Supply and install crown molding for cabinets
(11) Supply and install new Andersen Window
(12) Install Tile Floor (Flooring supplied by owner); inspect sub-floor and prep within reason e.g. no structural damage
(13) Install backsplash (supplied by owner)
(14) Install under cabinet lighting
(15) Install appliances supplied by owner (another $5k-6k for decent appliances-fridge, wall oven, range, dishwasher. we're talking ge profile not wolf or sub zero)

The key is to get a few contractor's estimates and don't necessarily go with the lowest. Go with the one you are most comfortable with and is the most reputable. Visit the sites of renovated kitchens and most importantly talk to the customers. They all should have glowing references and indicate that the contractor was great to work with. Of course you are always going to get a complainer here or there but overall you should get a majority of positive feedback)

I've received several estimates some are below the above and some were higher and didn't include for example a breakfast bar.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
This is what we're looking at:

9x14 kitchen
gut kitchen, drywall, knock down "wall", remove all appliances
all new electrical (including new wall panel)
new flooring (slate/tile)
14' kitchen cabinets (medium quality)
mouldings on all cabinets
8' x 3' island
granite countertops (install already paid for)
tile backsplash throughout kitchen and island
install stove, microwave, fridge, sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal, trash compactor, wine cooler
ceiling lighting (6), under cabinet lighting
changes to plumbing to accomodate a small water and waste line for the tank

All materials to be purchased through Home Depot. I'm trying to figure out the estimated cost of the install. The one quote I have is based on a "point" system, with each point being a set price.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I might be off on some things but this is how i would price it.
this is the labor only, no materials, except the electric and plumbing.

gut kitchen, drywall, knock down "wall", remove all appliances - 1k (sell your applainces on CL save the removal cost, about 300 bucks right there)
all new electrical (including new wall panel) - 1.5k ? hard to say till you see how much is involved.
new flooring (slate/tile) - 800
14' kitchen cabinets (medium quality) - 600
mouldings on all cabinets - 300?
8' x 3' island - ? more info what's in the island? just an empty shell, or drawers etc.
granite countertops (install already paid for)
tile backsplash throughout kitchen and island - 400
install stove, microwave, fridge, sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal, trash compactor, wine cooler - 1k
ceiling lighting (6), under cabinet lighting - 400
changes to plumbing to accomodate a small water and waste line for the tank - 100

this is all based on electricians and plumbers i have worked with, and what my labor costs have been for previous jobs.

hannahsmom

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought our own cabinets and installed them ourself plus wiring and with new flooring kitchen sink new door etc so we did it cheap and is was about 7grand. To have someone do it would have been double I am sure. But we bought middle grade cabs nothing fancy you can spend lots of dough on fancy cabinets with leaded glass, cherry wood etc etc. Best bet is find a local hardware store like lowes or home depot bring in your measurements and they have kraftmaid cabinet people who will help you figure the basic floor plan and print it off for you. You can do your own figuring on top of that for new appliances, drawer pulls flooring etc if you want really nice, medium or lower end. And some of the things you can do yourself to save cost too... Good luck it is messy and stressful

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
most of the work u just described can be done yourself. Walls, floor ,cabinets are the easiest thing 2 do. Why waster 2k in labor for something you could do on a saturday for free. THe most important thing is installing electric and plumbing (and materials)

but your looking at maybe 3-4 grand if you do some of the work yourself. IMO

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm a definite DIY person, but if you don't have the time to do it the project can drag on forever, and that gets depressing when you can't wash a dish for months on end.

I've mastered just about all the trades, except plumbing, there are times when you have to call the real pro's. Also I would definitely call an electrician to put in a new panel, a new fuse or sub panel okay, but not all new service.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'd do it all myself. Then I'd get my friend with a license to sign off on it.

I've got a friend who remodles for a second living. I'll shoot him a call tomorrow and see what he'd charge.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: