Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Nvidia here too (physX is a plus) but ATI actually has the top card out right now. I would go on newegg and check the reviews of the cards you're interested in. You might find a better deal or a better card in the same range.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I also second toms hardware.

What is your upgrade budget if you don't mind me asking, that would set what series of card you can afford.

What is your current video card?

The Raedon 6850 is a faster card than the GTX550ti.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My computer don't work no more :( so I'm getting another. I'm trying to keep the $ total, with warranty, under 1500. Right now I'm looking at an HP i7 3820 (3.6 ghz, 15mb shared cache) 8 megs DDR3 1600, 600 watt ps, GTX 550ti, 1 TB hard drive, DVD burner and 15 in 1 media reader. I know I could build one cheaper, but don't have an OS and would rather have a warranty so I don't have to deal with any headaches. Between Costco and Amex the rig would have full support for 4 years and free deivery.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
An OS is about $100 and the parts would still have their warranty. Building a PC is really not that hard and you can put that money into better parts when you do it yourself. If you want help or have questions let me know.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i would also think if you can salvage the computer case and if the power supply is sufficient rebuild a new computer. your $1500 max. budget would get you a decent gaming computer.

HP is also not making anymore computers for the consumer. So i would look for a different brand if you are going main stream. If you build your own it would be a "Cowfish" model 1000. :)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The rig I have now started out 9yrs ago as a brand new Dell XPS 400. It no longer has any of the original parts but the upgraded PSU I have now was used in the old case so it still qualifies as just upgraded lol. Once you can build a PC you'll never buy another one again since you always get exactly what you want and you end up paying a lot less. Plus the satisfaction of knowing you built it.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thank you everyone for the feed-back.

I checked out some pricing for various components and don't think I'll save significantly for what I'm looking at. I'd rather spend a few 100 extra and have the warranty and tech support. Even though the computer is an HP it will be under warranty through Costco which provides support and replacement if necessary.

As for the original topic, I'll be sticking with the GTX 550 ti - I'm more comfortable with Nvidia and their driver support.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: