JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to put out his thread out as a sort of public service announcement. Reading some of he threads the last few months, I keep seeing whole tank issues that I think are avoidable when keeping an SPS tank.

IME If the person keeping their tank has been doing a good job, then the 2nd year of an SPS tank seems to be the sweet spot for the tank. Around the second year everything sort of comes together, all the corals generally start to do really well, the tank is flourishing, color and growth really seem to be spectacular. I think that this gives a sense that the tank is bullet proof, and the "I can do no wrong" mentality can creep into ones mind. By the second year the tank is still capable of absorbing a tremendous amount of abuse, meaning over feeding mostly, but also flow and lighting are still able to work at their optimal and are not yet impeded by the success of the tank.

I write success of the tank because it seems that as the next year rolls in corals grow larger and choke off flow in the tank, light gets shaded from corals at the top and lower placed corals can suffer. Feeding regimens that were pretty much dumping in large amounts of food in the tank all the time start to slowly shift till suddenly nuisance algae starts to creep its way into the system.

All of these factors leads the person one day to realize that their tank is headed into a bad direction. Changes are suddenly made to many different things in the tank at once, feedings stop, lights schedules change, water flow is played around with. Suddenly the tank becomes a very unstable place and the whole tank starts to fall apart. So what I am trying to write here is that we need to be aware of what is going on in our tanks and watch things very closely in the 2nd year as the tank starts to take off. Understand that you might need to get in the tank and clip some corals or monitor nutrient levels a little more even though the tank looks to be doing the best it ever has.

Hopefully this makes sense to you and you are able to keep your tank running smoothly and looking great for years to come. Long term success is the goal and the more we know, they better success we can have.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi Jbny good info ty I'm at that 2 yr mark and wondering if u ever exp my issue I filled my co2 and refilled my reactor with cal media
When I got reactor running again I left it on same bubble count etc.. My cal and alk shot up I wonder if it's because I added more media so I tried to slow effluent stopped kalk in my top off still it was running my cal and alk too high so after a bunch of trial and error I removed 1/2 the media and seems to have helped I'll know when I get to test tank this Sunday
Anyway thought it fit in with ur thread because right b4 this I was at 2 yr mark and tank was thriving now I'm trying to get back on track

ReefBum

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Great post, Joe. One thing I have learned in this hobby is to plan ahead and allow a reef tank room to mature. Give corals plenty of room to grow and don't try to jam things in....let mother nature do her thing. Patience is the key.....and, as you mentioned, staying on top of how a reef evolves to prevent future trouble.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: