xeniaforever

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Livestock selection is a critical part of planning out a system. This should be done well before any money is spent. It can determine all the requirements: tank size, flow, lighting, and nutrient control levels. Included in the livestock selection should be some mandatory critters to help naturally maintain the system for algae and pests. I personally always include a selection of these for every tank I own and use this as a quick short list. But keep in mind that manual removal of unwanted tank inhabitants by the hobbyist should still be part of basic maintenance.
<h2>Clean Up Crew for Specific Algae</h2>
I would recommend to add these slowly, a little at a time based on what you are battling to avoid overcrowding. If overstocked they will starve (without supplemental feeding ) and die polluting the water. I personally avoid hermit crabs since they can be opportunistic and start attacking your snails when they grow too big. Select a wide variety to cover all bases.

Go to post

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Good read. I'm looking to get a cleanup crew for my tank reboot and I feel the same way about hermits. Very interesting critters but I hate having to be a snail sentinel, even when there are empty shells in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: