Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
For my new tank, I have the hole for a 3/4" return, which I can turn into a Locline.

Since I am new to that (previous return was just a 90 degrees 3/4" PVC pipe), I was wondering how people use these?

It is a small tank (55 gallons: 36x20x18), so I assume maybe a single "short-line" flare or round nozzle that comes out just above the water line so as to break siphon if the return pump was to fail? Or is there anything else I should think about?

Thanks for your insights!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Regarding breaking the siphon, you should use flow restrictors. If you are using restrictors for the returns, make sure you have an effective filter to make sure no rocks or pebbles can go up into the plumbing from the return pump.

But to be honest, I would really recommend making the sump level appropriate to handle the backflow. You just never know what will happen, and it is good practice to make the sump be able to absorb the complete backflow from the high level returns until the siphon naturally breaks.

Lastly, putting the nozzle close to the surface is good for agitation but it will increase salt creep.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Regarding breaking the siphon, you should use flow restrictors. If you are using restrictors for the returns, make sure you have an effective filter to make sure no rocks or pebbles can go up into the plumbing from the return pump.

But to be honest, I would really recommend making the sump level appropriate to handle the backflow. You just never know what will happen, and it is good practice to make the sump be able to absorb the complete backflow from the high level returns until the siphon naturally breaks.

Lastly, putting the nozzle close to the surface is good for agitation but it will increase salt creep.
Thanks for your input Josh. In terms of outputs: do you recommend a flare nozzle or a regular one? Does that make much of a difference?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Thanks for your input Josh. In terms of outputs: do you recommend a flare nozzle or a regular one? Does that make much of a difference?
The flares are nice if you have some corals near the top and you want to use the nozzles to create custom flow for them. Too much direct flow will kill the corals though, so be careful.

Generally I feel that the powerheads overwhelm any wave forms that the nozzles provide, but your mileage might vary. You can always use a nozzle and remove it if you want.

Also you could consider a "locline eductor" which will better randomize the flow pattern.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: