Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ryan, from all your answers it seems that there should not be any problems with nitrates. Only 3 exceptions would have been the lr in the sump, but you have addressed that, the pads which I would rinse daily until we figure out what is going on, and last is you may need to rinse the food a bit more. I feed mainly frozen foods - I place the frozen foods in a container, fill with tap water:Yikes:, once it thaws out I rinse it 3 or 4 more times while straining through a brine shrimp net. After the last rinse which I squeeze every drop of water out of it I add Selcon, Garlic, VitaChem & Vit. C. That sits for about 15min., then I add tank water just before feedind everyone. As of last testing (don't do that often either) ammonia, trites, trates were all 0, and yesterday the P04 was tested with a Milwaukie kit, and that reading was .04.
I don't run a fuge, my sump only containes skimmer, heaters, 1 phosban/carbon mix reactor, and the return pumps.

I did run a fuge before for many years, and always had algae, but to be fair I also used tap water back in those days too.

You can take what you please from the above, but do rinse the food more then just once.;)

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
will do! thanks brandy. i was also thinking about slowing down my feedings for the mean time to get this to lower. is every other day or 2 or 3 days too long and not fair for my fish or would they be ok? if its the slightest bit unfair for the fish then i do not want to do it and ill continue how i normally feed but rinse out very good. my fish are treated like my kids and i dont want to starve them, but if its for there own good then i dont know they might have to deal with it

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: