Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I just set up this 75 gal. oceanic 75 gal R/R tank, I put in about 75-80 lbs of live rock, not to sure of the type of rock, my plans are to stock it with mosty softies, polyps, zoas, ect. the equip is as follows, euro reef rs-100 skimmer, oceanic sump, rio 3100 return pump.(a little noisy) would like to get a better, (more quiet pump). coralife compact flo. lighting 4x65 2 actinic, and 2 10,000k. koralia 2, SCWD. have not yet added the sand, what type should i use? Any tips, ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• reef tank.jpg
    reef tank.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 310

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
Great start.

Only thing I would really do differently ... is open up the rocks more to allow for more flow through them ... from the looks of it everything is tightly packed in ... making it easier for all the cr@p to get trapped in there. Just a thought.

Congratulations on the set up. :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would go with an Eheim pump! They are quiet, cost less to run, and add little heat to the tank.;)
Not liking the lighting. Any thoughts on T5 VHO?;)
Do not get ESV sand....
Work on the rock design a little.;) Kind of looks like the rocks where just kind of thrown in there. Sorry, not trying to be mean.

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
im not too happy with the lighting either, but thats the way this set up came, i got it all from someone who was shutting down there system. i am never happy with the aquascaping. no matter how many time i do it. i'll try and open it up a bit more to let more flow around it. thanks everyone for the tips, keep em coming.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
NL, I don't like the ESV fine grain sand I know have in my reef. It clumps, and it looks dirty even though a have plenty of sand sifting cleaner crew. I was way happier with my southdown sand.
I have also heard that it will eventually cause problems with my pars. Not there yet, so can't really speak on that aspect.;)
Now if you can mix it with another sand you may be happier. I have ESV fine grain sand mixed with some old southdown sand in my 120, and that is staying cleaner, and looser without sandsifters.;)

Rock work is frustrating, but to just pile them up on top of each other is not the way to go.;) Much better if you can find someone to help you out with it as I did.:)

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Thanks everyone, I'm thinking of putting in dark sand in the tank. How many pounds do you guys think I should add? Its a 75 gal. 48x18. Also is the carib sea live stuff any good? its readily available at most of the lfs's in my area. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: