ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to put two holes for electrical wires in the lower rear corners of the stand... Should I also put holes for ventilation/fans? Should I make these sized for computer fans?

I am considering making a hole on the side in case i want to add a controller, so I could view/have access without opening any doors.... anything else to consider in terms of stand building?

I will make sure to apply multiple coats of poly as suggested... does 4 sound like enough? it will be sprayed on professionally, not applied with brushes, etc..

ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, well I'm going to ask the builder to put 2 holes for 80mm fans on the top of the back panel and 2 holes for 2 3/8" diameter grommets (for wires) on the bottom of the back panel.

I think, circulation-wise, for removal of hotter air, it would make more sense to have a fan at the bottom and one at the top of the panel, but I think this wouldn't look very good...

Anyone think this is a big mistake? I would think two 80mm computer fans would be able to provide enough circulation that placement isnt as large of a factor...

ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK, the stand is built. I will post pictures tonight.

I want to install the 80mm fans but am having a bit of trouble deciding which ones to get and how they are to be powered.

Does anyone know how you wire computer fans for an application like like this? Been looking around online, but having trouble finding information for non-computer purposes...

thanks,

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Look for the highest cfm fan, see what the amp and voltage, most are around 12v and can buy an adaptor from radio shack. Or get the icecap fans which are awesome and have the power supply

ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But do I really need such a high air flow?... I was thinking the less noise the better... This isn't for cooling MH lights or anything... just to make sure it doesn't get too humid in the sump area..

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
OK, well I'm going to ask the builder to put 2 holes for 80mm fans on the top of the back panel and 2 holes for 2 3/8" diameter grommets (for wires) on the bottom of the back panel.

I think, circulation-wise, for removal of hotter air, it would make more sense to have a fan at the bottom and one at the top of the panel, but I think this wouldn't look very good...

Anyone think this is a big mistake? I would think two 80mm computer fans would be able to provide enough circulation that placement isnt as large of a factor...

Vent hole on the top if you plan to blow out hot air, on the mid section or close to the sump for blowing cool air in. Hot air raises. Two fans will be more than enough to draw out hot air for the size of the cabinet, unless you are planning to put a chiller in there as well. You should add a few small holes or a slot at the top to allow venting if you are blowing air in. BTW, blowing air in is preferred by most people.

I would make sure the wires are long enough before putting any holes in the panel, putting them on the bottom will be ideal as a drip loop, but not always practical.

ryder11211

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4802.jpg

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
you should make a "rock wall" for the overflow(on both sides) that way you wont see it, and that would be cool as hell. I would do it with the rocks getting larger as you go down further....just my two cents

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: