TRUKINGNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hey everyone I started dosing 2 part b-ionic for my alkalinity but I don't know if I should keep dosing calcium but to my understanding you have to dose both right or wrong?? These are my test readings KH-6.1 /
CA-490 / MG-1410

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I dont think you need to use both if your Alk is fine you shouldnt dose for it.
I use the B-Ionic but only use the Calcium not the Alk bc my Alk is always high, my Calcium is always being depleted so I just add that bottle.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
He should not dose. Its recommended to increase Alk based on his pH. I basically had the same prob, made correction slowly using baking soda over a weeks period. My Alk is now within acceptable limits. Make changes slowly not to shock your tank.

The dosing of ca and alk in improper balances lead to these types of probs. With balanced dosing you should never end up in this positions.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
He should not dose. Its recommended to increase Alk based on his pH. I basically had the same prob, made correction slowly using baking soda over a weeks period. My Alk is now within acceptable limits. Make changes slowly not to shock your tank.

The dosing of ca and alk in improper balances lead to these types of probs. With balanced dosing you should never end up in this positions.

Harry, Richie is saying that he's currently out of balance. Therefore, in order for him to slowly correct this imbalance he has to dose either Ca, Alk, or Mg out of balance to bring it back in line.

He must test first, then dose the element that is running light in his system. Wait a few hours and then test again.

If he were to follow your instructions he would wind up proverbially chasing his own tail and get either nowhere, or further out of balance.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hey everyone I started dosing 2 part b-ionic for my alkalinity but I don't know if I should keep dosing calcium but to my understanding you have to dose both right or wrong?? These are my test readings KH-6.1 /
CA-490 / MG-1410

Richie, if the above were your readings today, I would recommend to you not to dose Ca or Mg. However, I would absolutely suggest dosing Alk.

There is no need to dose everything if the parameters for those that you are dosing are already high enough. Only add the element/s that isn't up to your required parameter.

Russ

DrHarryLopez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Harry, Richie is saying that he's currently out of balance. Therefore, in order for him to slowly correct this imbalance he has to dose either Ca, Alk, or Mg out of balance to bring it back in line.

He must test first, then dose the element that is running light in his system. Wait a few hours and then test again.

If he were to follow your instructions he would wind up proverbially chasing his own tail and get either nowhere, or further out of balance.

Russ

Nicely put Russ, one should never assume testing is done a few hrs after each adjustment.

Harry

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Is there a such thing as to much CA? If so what can happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Too much Ca can eventually lead to a point where the calcium 'falls' out of solution and precipitates in the tank. It would look like a snow storm. This occurrence would require exceptionally high Ca as well as Alk being out of whack.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: