A

Anonymous

Zebra plecostomus. I miss my pair...had them a while before I traded them in...now the retail is triple what I paid for them back in 1999.

Zebra%20Pleco.jpg

Peace,

Chip

A

Anonymous

Kribensis
Common name Kribensis

Scientific name Pelvicachromis pulcher
Synonyms Krib, Purple cichlid
Size 4" (10cm), females smaller.
Origin Nigeria
Tank setup Planted aquarium with rocks or bogwood for shelter.
Compatibility Often kept in community tanks, but can be very aggressive when spawning.
Temperature 24-27oC (75-80oF)
Water chemistry Medium hard, pH 6.5-7.5
Feeding Omnivorous: live, frozen and flake foods accepted.
Sexing The male is larger and has longer dorsal and anal fins.
Breeding Cave spawners: the female will guard the fry while the male guards the territory.

These guys are fun to watch.

Attachments

• kribs2a.jpg
    kribs2a.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 238
A

Anonymous

So many to choose from ...

Kribensis is nice, as Bang^2 said.

I also really like the rummy nose tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri). I've had my school of rummy nose for like 3 years now. The copper spot on their head is very vivid, and the banding on their tails has matured into yellow and black (instead of black and white). They're like a pokeymon fish.

I also like the long finned german blue ram (Neogeophagus ramirezii). I had a beautiful pair that were breeding quite reqularly, and it was the bomb to watch them do their dance, patrol eggs, guide a cloud of fry and all that jazz.

I am also a fan of pleco's ... the zebra is cool but mine was so damn reclusive. I like a good ole Temminkii (bushy nose w/ spots) pleco, or just your regular sailfin pleco (they seem to have more personality). My clown pleco was a cool little chubby sucker.

I would also like to take a moment to insult discus fish. Why would anyone keep these things? Just because it's difficult to care for? That's retarded. Do you know why it's difficult to care for? Because they're inbred and genetically "unsound" as a species. Have you seen a wild discus? It's not colored like a discus you might think of. People should not keep this fish. If it were a person, it would be a hillbilly with messed up teeth who runs barefoot and accidentally smacks into walls.
they are an abomination unto me
:P

ah, that felt good.

A

Anonymous

Hwarang":3kmcpvh2 said:
I would also like to take a moment to insult discus fish. Why would anyone keep these things? Just because it's difficult to care for? That's retarded. Do you know why it's difficult to care for? Because they're inbred and genetically "unsound" as a species. Have you seen a wild discus? It's not colored like a discus you might think of. People should not keep this fish. If it were a person, it would be a hillbilly with messed up teeth who runs barefoot and accidentally smacks into walls. :P

ah, that felt good.

in the first place, there are at least 3 species of wild discus, one of which (the original 'blue' discus. which is actually brown), is one of my favorites

the 'tefe' and the 'heckel' are the other two, and can be quite pretty

i hate the inbred 'singapore style' discus as well

but- my discus were always looked at as pets, not a status fish, and i've found them to be one of the more intelligent, tameable, curious, and interestingly behaviored of the many species i've kept

discus were the only fish i've seen that would swim up against a hand to actively solicit attention, let themselves be pet, held gently upside down, and then removed from the water w/out so much as a twitch, only to swim calmly away when placed back in the water

plus the also have their squabbles/fights/aggressions like any other cichlid species

they're only 'mopey' and 'slow' when being kept by people who dunno how to keep 'em :wink:

A

Anonymous

they're only 'mopey' and 'slow' when being kept by people who dunno how to keep 'em

heh, well i did have my ups and downs with them, but after keeping and breeding discus in FW planted tanks for the better part of a decade, i feel confident in my discus care regiment :)

heckels are my favorite, actually, of all discus.

i dunno ... i just wasn't down with the ULTRA high maintenance requirements, and truthfully, my discus did show some of that cichlid attitude. in some tanks i had trouble finding the right balance of size/# of discus ... and then once i would get it down, one would die throwing the whole equation outta whack.

also, any fish that gets really scared and swims away fast only to ram into the glass and kill itself instantly ... YOU'RE CUT!

i suppose i think if they were dogs, they'd be dalmations. excessive inbreeding has turned dalmations dumb, aggressive and difficult to train.

*shruggo*

anyhow, props to ppl that can keep the discus and whatnot. I wasn't dissing you, I was dissing the fish!

A

Anonymous

Hwarang":3diqonc2 said:
they're only 'mopey' and 'slow' when being kept by people who dunno how to keep 'em

heh, well i did have my ups and downs with them, but after keeping and breeding discus in FW planted tanks for the better part of a decade, i feel confident in my discus care regiment :)

heckels are my favorite, actually, of all discus.

i dunno ... i just wasn't down with the ULTRA high maintenance requirements, and truthfully, my discus did show some of that cichlid attitude. in some tanks i had trouble finding the right balance of size/# of discus ... and then once i would get it down, one would die throwing the whole equation outta whack.

also, any fish that gets really scared and swims away fast only to ram into the glass and kill itself instantly ... YOU'RE CUT!

i suppose i think if they were dogs, they'd be dalmations. excessive inbreeding has turned dalmations dumb, aggressive and difficult to train.

*shruggo*

anyhow, props to ppl that can keep the discus and whatnot. I wasn't dissing you, I was dissing the fish!

:lol:

yeah that's happened to me, too, hehe

once when i was talkin to customers about what cool fish they are, right in front of the tank :wink:

A

Anonymous

I think for freshwater the best inhabitants and most intriguing would be the ropefish of northern africa. I've kept a small colony of these guys for going on about 6 or 7 yrs now and they love pellets, live foods, rummynose tetra, neons, ghost shrimp and just about anything they can fit in thier voracious little mouths. Most believe they only will eat live foods or frozen meaty foods, but I have these guys trained on eating cichlid pellets and or spectrums thera A pellets. They work well in south american tanks especially with the cichlids of central and southern america. The cichlids pretty much ignored them as I think they were confused as to what they were. Woking on trying to breed these guys as no one has a case of them breeding in captivity but hey I guess I'm not "no one" 8) .

Attachments

• ropefish.jpg
    ropefish.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 201
  • ropefish2.jpeg
    ropefish2.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 202

hillbilly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hwarang, I'm a hillbilly. I have all my teeth, rarely go barefoot, keep discus in a planted tank, and even though I'm 6'4" and weigh 260lbs. I don't run into walls! I could dis you, but I choose to be civil. Enough said. I won't waste any more space.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're a hillbilly that doesn't fit his description. I've known my share that do. :lol:
He never said they were ALL like that. :wink:
You're more like and oscar...

Jim

Rikko

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just packed out 15 baby pigeon blood discus - never again. Finally raised these guys "right" (they eat anything I care to feed them - krill, granules, spirulina, anything except flakes) and I have to say I miss 'em a bit. But they're still a pain.
"I would also like to take a moment to insult discus fish." - Priceless!
My biggest beef with discus is really quite simple: they just don't know how to DIE. Discus are the only fish I've ever had to euthanize simply because I can't watch a fish starve itself for weeks and start to lose swimming control.

I gotta give my vote to my stupid geophagus jurupari - easily the most fun cichlid I've ever kept:
geos.jpg

cichlidtom

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
davidmohr":37gdc3hn said:
They look the same to me they all look like this: :)

404.jpg

Cichlid-forum, in thousands of peoples opnions is the BEST cichlid website in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, african cichlids are #1, if you take the time to look, there is so much difference between species, i dont mean to be criticle, but it would be a 100% lie to say that they are all the same fish with a different "paint job", there are TONS of different body forms, from tropheus to frontosa, or from julidochromis to aulonocara.

thomas j

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cichlidtom":2ijq2dxc said:
davidmohr":2ijq2dxc said:
They look the same to me they all look like this: :)

404.jpg

Cichlid-forum, in thousands of peoples opnions is the BEST cichlid website in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think your site link (in your sig) contains some slightly objectionable (at least to me) text, to be shown here on a family oriented site-specifically what you have written under the yellow labidochromis pic 8O

cichlidtom

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am extremely sorry for that. one of my friends who thinks its weird to like fish must have gotten into it after i left it on. the website is kinda old. i will update it now, as i find myself sitting at the computer at 3 in the morning haveing nothing to do and having as much energy as a hyper 5 year old.

sorry for the incovience

thomas j

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: