NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
So, on top of my tank issues, thanks to those who have responded (aka..tank degrading was the thread...still not resolved)...I came home from the gym last night to find the glass lid to my Solana, cracked in three places, two of them hanging in the water and the other has fallen in and thankfully missed slicing my Frogspawn into two piece...anything like this happen to anyone???
I thought the glass was made to withstand these HGI lights????

It's been up for almost 8 months now...

Just thought I would share...

Went to Home Depot and bought egg crate as a temp fix, if it works better, I might keep it, but looking to replace the glass if I go away for an extended period of time or such...any thoughts???

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
thats still close enough to over heat the glass and a splash of water will do it, out of curiousity, why did you have a glass cover on the tank or why are u using egg crate ?

NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
YOU suggested egg crate when I originally asked about Solana's and the cover....I am using it as a fix for now.
I even told the forum what type of light I bought...how far does everyone think it stands above the water???

Oh, two good reasons to use a cover...both my clowns of almost 4 years "jumped" to their deaths within 3 months of each other...and two snails have crawled out onto the floor...

COVER...I say YES

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is an issue with the Solana glass tops. I wouldn't use it personally. This happened to a buddy of mine that got the tank. I would imagine it has to do with the glass and the constant expansion and contraction every day as the lights go on and off.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do you have a pic of what the top of this tank looks like? I also find it odd that they give you a glass top that is placed only inches from a MH, nevermind the fact that it will alos inhibit oxygen exchange.
The eggcrate will greatly reduce the amount of light reaching the corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: