Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This may sound a bit ridiculous but I am easily confused :tongue1: so I just wanted to see what other reefers thought about the "name game". Naming of zoas, acans, chalices etc with for lack of a better term 'designer labels' on them.

To me, personally, a zoa is a zoa, acan an acan and chalice well... a chalice. If I like the coloring of the coral, I buy it, unconcerned with the name, only thought being about the care requirements and my ability to keep the coral alive and thriving in my system.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Causing such a fuss/craze over a fancy name for a coral.. really all it does is drive the price up. Worth it? Not worth it? Neccessary or foolish?

Just looking to get others perspectives on it all because frankly I'm confused. To bring in a not so related example all the cutesy lil' names for mixed breed dogs with price tags that are outrageous (using that term as a total understatement). :eek: It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me in terms of keeping corals. On the money making end... sure name away... but seeing as how most hobbiests are feeding the frenzy.. I'm all types of confused.

Tangs Rule

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I always wondered where all of the names come from. For example, I see two acans from sale from two different vendors, they look exactly the same but have completely different names. Do the vendors makes up the names? Do the suppliers make up the names?

I'm with you though, if I like the colors I buy it.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
There are so many variations and morphs available today. Calling something "Green Zoas" is just not effective anymore. I like the idea of creative names for things so we can keep some track of the lineage, but can't stand it when people put their own names on items that they bought.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: