Monti

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, the wife and I are spending spring break visiting NYC and we were wondering what public aquariums and LFS should be on our must see list. Thanks in advance for any tips!

Mike

Monti

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been trying to figure out if it would be worth the hassle to go out to Atlantis, since its the only thing we'd want to see in that direction.

Monti

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so it sounds like you guys think that Atlantis is worth a trip... you can get there via Grand Central? We'll also be staying with my uncle in CT for awhile, and we were also going to spend a day or two in Boston and see the aquarium there. Any LFS I should make sure and see?

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Plenty to do just make it easy getting to everything.

Funny, for spring break i'm heading to Galveston Texas then Ivanpah Navada with some more of my hobbies.I'm into kite buggying & landsailing.How are ya getting around ? will you have a lady friend with you ,or by yourself ? reason I'm asking is the time traveling with company to see the attractions or places you'd like to see.If you'll be in mannhattan, theres plenty to do right there .have you been in city before and know your way around ? Theres three aquarium shops within walking or cab and Manhattan Aquarium on 37th is worth a looky .Shops still being built but theres some Inpressive stocked and shaped tanks to blow you away.The central park zoo is cool in the rain house and if you fell like eating in front of a large reef Aquarium,the Gallery resturant on 7th ave and 14th st has "Great" food just tell Paul that Terry sent ya for extra care.downtown has a killer tank inside the building opposite the Abourium and where WTC use to be ,"Great" Chinese quiesene.try the steak madalions & lobster tails.Brooklyn Aquarium this time of year is OK i guess but the trip there is brutal by train...since you'll be staying in CT,plan a trip by ferry and cab to Atlantic Aquarium cause it's a nice place to spend an afternoon, they have a boat cruse tour they give also but call ahead for scheduling.One Place you Have To Go is the cradle of aviation in east meadow I think ,or uniondale...easy to get to .Enjoy the cool museum and after ,hit the IMAX theater and see underwater show .That will make your trip memorable.theres another IMAX theater on 61st and broadway ,you can call but I think they show it there also.Let me know how your bangin around and I'll direct you like a tour giude.I live On Island but move from the city and know like the back of my hand ,ALL FIVE BURROUGHS including upstate,westchester,CT,NJ,and eastern long Island .you can spend the whole day traveling in traffic or have a gameplan that will bring ya back to NY in future. Good Luck with your flight ,....Hudson kinda cold this time of year....just kidding:tongue1:....Like Kamakassi said , they do have Cheap lobster out east you'll enjoy .

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would skip coney island cause the aquarium there sucks and all the coney island stuff is going to the developers. If you go to CT stop by Greenwich Aquarium. And when you go up to Boston stop by Skiptons in Dorchester (Haven't been there in a couple years so not sure how it is now, they have some nice cheap stuff).

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Laguardia or JFK and catch a flight to either south pacific or Red Sea.

That is what i would do.
I was out at Atlantis a few days ago, it is a nice Aquarium, not worth flying from TX to see though. There are a bunch of nice wineries out just past there but still not worth all that flying. The Aquarium is about $50.00 admission for two people.
Have fun

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Atlantis is much smaller scale than what you would expect from most aquariums across the country, especially in comparison to NY Aquarium.. though the quality of their animals and how they are kept by far surpasses a lot, imo.

Quality not quanitity seems to ring true. Our family enjoys Atlantis, we are fortunate enough to live close though. As for what else there is to do, that all depends on your families other interests and age of children. There are more than plenty of things to do and see on Long Island and in NYC... so it's hard to say what is good to see and what isn't.

If you can make the travel to Atlantis on your trip, it's worth it to see.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: