polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have been running a RODI unit with booster pump from well water - dual RO membranes
and a single DI unit for many years. DI exhausts rather quickly...from which from what I have read and believe is CO2 in the water from the well.

I changed things around and have RO water filled into a open container that I run a air pump into to try to blow off the CO2.
from that container I run a dosing pump pushing water through the DI unit. It's controlled by float switch in the sump It runs very slow, a bit faster than evaporation- so the switch does turn it off from time to time.
change 100 gallons a month + evaporation make up

Using this set up the DI resin now runs for a few months before showing any signs of starting to deplete.
My question is; how slow of a flow through inline TDS meter is the TDS unit able to be read by the probe?
Anyone questioning the same?

Thanks,
Jim C.

Last edited:

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have been running a RODI unit with booster pump from well water - dual RO membranes
and a single DI unit for many years. DI exhausts rather quickly...from which from what I have read and believe is CO2 in the water from the well.

I changed things around and have RO water filled into a open container that I run a air pump into to try to blow off the CO2.
from that container I run a dosing pump pushing water through the DI unit. It's controlled by float switch in the sump It runs very slow, a bit faster than evaporation- so the switch does turn it off from time to time.
change 100 gallons a month + evaporation make up

Using this set up the DI resin now runs for a few months before showing any signs of starting to deplete.
My question is how slow of a flow through inline TDS meter is the unit able to be read by the probe?
Anyone questioning the same?

Thanks,
Jim C.

I do the same since we have well water but I push RO water from the di-gassing drum to a single DI resin canister using 2 pumps connected to a regular 1/4 inch RO/DI T push connector to convert to one line. one pump is 400gph and the other is 925gph.
With the tubing reduction and head loss I think it pushes around 15 to 20 gallons per hour. I have an in-line TDS meter on the DI Resin canister outlet and also double check the water with a portable TDS meter too just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Nice, I should really do the same. I burn through anion resin fast with my well water.

Yeah you should, you’ll see what a big difference.
I collect RO water into a 55 gallons drum, I have an air pump with 2 air stones in the drum running while I’m collecting the water and let it run overnight then I just pump the RO water through the DI Resin Canister into another container as needed.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
You may be burning through the DI unit slower because of the lower pressure. Take a look at how much waste water your unit is producing versus the original. The lower pressure will extend the life of the DI obviously but it will send much more water to the waste line. This obviously isn't a big deal if you have a well, but if you have a water bill it can be something to worry about.

Juano908

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
You may be burning through the DI unit slower because of the lower pressure. Take a look at how much waste water your unit is producing versus the original. The lower pressure will extend the life of the DI obviously but it will send much more water to the waste line. This obviously isn't a big deal if you have a well, but if you have a water bill it can be something to worry about.

Not sure what do you mean by lower pressure cause separating the DI resin housing has nothing to do with the RO membrane pressure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: