edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Not in such a mad scientist way, many of us are mad scientist ! And in every other hobby do the people constantly check on the equipment and supply??? No hobby takes up as much time as reefing, you really can't put your tank in the closet and dust it off when u need it!!

+1 i have other hobbies, i saltwater fish in summer, i hunt and ice fish in winter. i was ice fishing saturday, when i got home put my stuff in garage and went inside and checked on reef equipment and supply. forget about fishing till next time, but always checking mr. so maybe your right dre maybe their is something seriously wrong with some of us, but i have had worse problems.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You're only "addicted" if it affects your major life activities. If you can't go to work, or have normal family interactions, or spend money on your tank instead of saving for your kid's college fund, then you may have a problem. Another way it becomes a problem is if one does not take responsibility for the animals that they own. It's easier now, than when I started this hobby many decades ago to find information on the husbandry of the corals and fish before we make a purchase. If you have to always have the latest and greatest just to keep up with everyone else or to somehow keep score, then maybe you are addicted.

Most people are just enthusiastic, some more than others. Needless to say, we all end up at some point with a closet full of old tank parts and equipment. The more congested the closest or basement, the longer you've been in this hobby. :) .

So, be responsible, be enthusiastic, don't be addicted. -- my $0.02

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You're only "addicted" if it affects your major life activities. If you can't go to work, or have normal family interactions, or spend money on your tank instead of saving for your kid's college fund, then you may have a problem. Another way it becomes a problem is if one does not take responsibility for the animals that they own. It's easier now, than when I started this hobby many decades ago to find information on the husbandry of the corals and fish before we make a purchase. If you have to always have the latest and greatest just to keep up with everyone else or to somehow keep score, then maybe you are addicted.

Most people are just enthusiastic, some more than others. Needless to say, we all end up at some point with a closet full of old tank parts and equipment. The more congested the closest or basement, the longer you've been in this hobby. :) .

So, be responsible, be enthusiastic, don't be addicted. -- my $0.02
Great point , some people have children with cheap sneakers , but they got that chalice and that's what matters to them

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm a college student studying biology. I have had tanks since I was little. Only 2 years ago I got into reefing, drawn in by anemone/clown relationship.

I love this hobby because although it is expensive and time consuming. It's amazing watching a small ecosystem evolve over time. (Knowing the biochemistry behind these "simple" animals makes it that much more interesting).

While this has not been the only hobby that has enthralled me, Its definitely been the only hobby to keep my attention and interest at the same level or higher after years

I LOVE REEFING!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: