theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not all tds are bad though. So higher tds doesn?t mean badder water. Is this correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correct, but if you don?t have your water tested to see what those tds are, it?s anyone?s guess,
Would consider them all bad unless you know otherwise, and know that you?re not adding too much of them to your chemistry

tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

In my situation, if the TDS is 0 going into the RO membrane, is the membrane actually doing anything?

If these readings are true, shouldn't the TDS coming from the waste water hose be identical to the TDS going into the DI resin?

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

In my situation, if the TDS is 0 going into the RO membrane, is the membrane actually doing anything?

If these readings are true, shouldn't the TDS coming from the waste water hose be identical to the TDS going into the DI resin?

Your water is definitely not 0 going into to membrane. Is it showing 0 going out of the to membrane and into the do resin.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Question

I change my filter cartridges when I see my tds out creep up. Should I be changing my membrane more frequently? I have the unit about 15 months and have gone through about 5 Sets of cartridges. With the cartridges last longer is I change the membrane more frequently? Isn?t it cheaper to change cartridges regularly instead of membrane?

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The membrane is normally good for 2 years and i would think the lower tds areas like NY they would most likely last longer, but i guess it also would depend on how much water your making. My TDS in brooklyn at tap is like 40-50 and always 0 on the out with inline and handheld meter. Ive had my ROunit for like 4 years now and im finally gonna change the membrane this weekend. Normally my In will read 10-13 then go down to 0.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you?re getting more than a coupla points coming out of membrane going into di resin it?s time to change the membrane.
The membrane can last longer than 2 years. Have had membranes for 5 years.
Chlorine?s and fluorides can damage membranes. Carbon blocks protect the membrane from that. Change them regularly enough and membrane lasts.
If you?re on well water no need for carbon blocks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: