annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i disagree. a 75 gal. reef with a sump and various equipment is likely going to be over 800 lbs.

guesstimate on the safe side, 1000lbs total weight /(48"x18") foot print, you're looking at approximately 167lb/sqft.
if a 170lb person doesn't fall through your floor, the tank will be fine.

putting it near a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists will also help.
generally hard wood flooring are laid perpendicular to the joists themselves. therefore putting the tank parallel to the flooring long axis should get you perpendicular to the joists also.

if you wanna be anal about it, a good stud finder will help you find the direction of the joists.

that said, i had a 125 by a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists, yet i see the vibration on top of the water every time my kids jump around the room. i ended up combining all my tanks to one system in the basement on a solid cement floor.

there is a MR member who selling a 125 for a great price. you guys dont think I should chance it?
maybe if I put a sheet of 1" plywood to disctribute the weight more evenly and make sure its veery level and by the load bearing wall?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: