isnyc300

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
did you get your money back? they have a 24 hour guarantee. also i know fishtowns tanks are heavily medicated and all the fish are transhipped so thy are pretty weak and stressed.It might have been a bad batch.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Danny, sometimes things happen that we never find the reason to, and this may very well be one of those.
Ex:
1) If the biopellets were the culprit by depleting oxygen then why didn't ALL the fish die?
2) If the nitrates rose to fast again why didn't all the fish die?
3) Any toxin that could've gotten in the tank would have also killed everything. Copper would've killed all your corals before it killed the fish.
We are all grasping at straws trying to figure this thing out.:(

As to your feeding schedule it is not the schedule, but the amount fed at one time. I for one know I was overfeeding. I have cut it back a bit as I am battling a bit of gha.

Keep your chin up, and don't give up....... Wishing you all the best.:)

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
No I don't have a chiller and the water has been warming up a bit around 82 degrees and sometimes it's gets to 85 but I do my best at keeping the water cool. I just can't afford a chiller right now.

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Ok so tomorrow I'm going to cleans out my bioreactor and store away and just continue to do my regular biweekly water chance of 15 gallons while monitoring nitrates very and I do mean very closely. But if they do rise to where it is uncontrollable how would I go by setting up the bioreactor safely? Do I just follow the directions or do I do something different as to setting it up?

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
No I don't have a chiller and the water has been warming up a bit around 82 degrees and sometimes it's gets to 85 but I do my best at keeping the water cool. I just can't afford a chiller right now.
85 F will definitely have an adverse affect on your inhabitants. Could definitely be a factor here. Anything above 83-84F for more than 2-3 days could start causing problems. Turn your air conditioner down a little colder, might help.

BrooklynReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
My first though when reading this was to ask how the toadstool leather looked, then when I read that you split it, it confirmed my suspicion. Leather corals can release nasty toxins into a tank. It may not be the reason the fish died, as most literature discuss the toxins as harmful to other corals, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Also, 85 is too hot. Go and buy a 4' to 6" clip on fan, it will drop your temperature at least a few degrees pretty quickly through evaporation. The big thing to keep an eye on when using evaporation for cooling the tank is that only freshwater will evaporate, so salinity will rise over time (on a 55 if you run the fan 24 hrs a day you may have to add a gallon or so of water back to the tank per day).

Last edited:

jcdeng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
base on all the readings, here are my thoughts:

1. bio pellets might have been contaminated by manufacturer, the often "bad batch" you may never know about before something happens.

2. New fish could be carrying some nasty parasite/bacteria with them, which they have grown immune to, but still a carrier of, and introduced to your old fish (which has no immunity toward said parasite/bacteria). On top of questionable bad bio pellets = further stress => quick death.

If I were you, I'd get rid of the bio pellets, or the bio reactor all together. Upgrade the skimmer, buy more chaeto with pods (but not from fishtown usa). Do smaller but more frequent water changes, like 10g weekly.

Hope this helps

Dannyboy11222

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Ok I just wanted to thank everyone on there input but now here's my next question it's been a week so far and the water was changed,the Gfo online,replace carbon,my nitrates are at zero. So when should I purchase my new pet?

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
How are the guys you bought that survived? How is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If all in check then go one fish at a time. Are you able to setup a QT? Would be best to protect the last additions...then introduce something nasty..

beastium

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
+1
base on all the readings, here are my thoughts:

1. Bio pellets might have been contaminated by manufacturer, the often "bad batch" you may never know about before something happens.

2. New fish could be carrying some nasty parasite/bacteria with them, which they have grown immune to, but still a carrier of, and introduced to your old fish (which has no immunity toward said parasite/bacteria). On top of questionable bad bio pellets = further stress => quick death.

If i were you, i'd get rid of the bio pellets, or the bio reactor all together. Upgrade the skimmer, buy more chaeto with pods (but not from fishtown usa). Do smaller but more frequent water changes, like 10g weekly.

Hope this helps

BrooklynReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
As someone that worked for a LFS that specialized in marine fish, and has been to "warehouses," I think and local store is your best option. If you are not in a rush the best thing to do is check out some fish your interested in, and then come back a week later to see if its still doing well. Many times it will be gone, but if you see one thats been in captivity for a couple weeks and is doing fine, that is your best bet. Or if you feel like the store employee is honest ask how long its been there, and even ask if you c n see it eat. Fish come into wholesalers and stores often in very bad condition, and severely stressed so always good to see them before you buy them.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Cyanide fishing could be it. It's a common (illegal) practice to catch large numbers of fish for reef hobbyists. I know it's a stretch but u never know these days.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I could suggest quality marine.c m . Or pop corals, he deals w them direct. They quarantine all fish for at least a month to make sure they good. Best o luck. Btw, I got 1 fish from them last week so far it's good. Also TOns of corals.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Why could you 'suggest quality marine'?... They do not deal with the retail public...

Huh? I just got a fish las week, and getting one tomorrow also. As I said above talk to pop corals he deals w them directly and a very knowledgable guy also. He's a vendor on this forum. Check it out if u want.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: