aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
A. I would immediately empty the tanks out and put things in a temporary holding space like brutes or rubbermaids. I'd get money back from the guy you bought that 90 gallon tank with. I am hoping the person was reputable. Please use the Reefer Ratings, they are there for a reason.

B. Once you get that money back I would pick up something new just to avoid the hassle or if I decide to break my tank down you can buy mine lol (mixed feelings about downgrading lol). Petco does have the $1 a gallon sale but I think it caps out at like 55 gallons.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Out of curiosity, how do you know you did not cause the cracks and chip in the glass when moving, transporting, and then moving the tank again (not to mention the night spent upside down, which i would think is bad?
Perhaps your trunk is not even/flat and a small bump or etc caused the bracing to crack/weaken?

Very sorry to hear about your problems...just sucks.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
A lesson can be learned here when buying used equipment. I would advise to never buy a used tank from someone you don't trust. I have done it once and got lucky but you are exposed to a huge amount of risk. This is the only piece of the system that can have horrific consequences if it fails.
When you factor in all costs of this hobby the difference in cost between new and used tanks is tiny.

Last edited:

wrudge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Out of curiosity, how do you know you did not cause the cracks and chip in the glass when moving, transporting, and then moving the tank again (not to mention the night spent upside down, which i would think is bad?
Perhaps your trunk is not even/flat and a small bump or etc caused the bracing to crack/weaken?

Very sorry to hear about your problems...just sucks.

Rookie, thanks for taking the time to reply. I know I did not cause the cracks/chip in the tank. The seller did respond to my PM, saying he knew of the chip in the tank but forgot about it because he hasn't used the tank in awhile. He said he did not remember any cracks and that he used the tank for over a year without any issues. The seller had the tank stored upside down in his shed and helped me load it into my minivan to transport home (still upside down). I don't see how any bump would cause the top frame to crack like that.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So from what I am reading, the general consensus is to forget about trying to replace the top frame of the 72 bow front and just get a new tank. Thanks all.

Thats what I would do.
After all you have been through a brand new tank will come with lots of peace of mind. Then once this is all over with you can relax and enjoy your tank.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Rookie, thanks for taking the time to reply. I know I did not cause the cracks/chip in the tank. The seller did respond to my PM, saying he knew of the chip in the tank but forgot about it because he hasn't used the tank in awhile. He said he did not remember any cracks and that he used the tank for over a year without any issues. The seller had the tank stored upside down in his shed and helped me load it into my minivan to transport home (still upside down). I don't see how any bump would cause the top frame to crack like that.

Well there you have it.
Once again, very sorry...what a shame.
There really is no such thing as a good deal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: