lo7100

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My cleaner shrimp was killed last nite. I have the following fishes in my tank. 1 hippo tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 firefish, 1 clown fish, 1 look alike algae benny and 1 fire shrimp. Well, the suspect fire shrimp was molted last nite. who else can kill my cleaner shrimp??:irked:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Molting is a very stressful time for crustaceans, and many things can go wrong, especially in a tank system. Aside from coral banded's, I've never had long term luck with shrimp....but when I used to keep a local tank, I always found that my crabs would be more likely to die when molting than any other time...I would find them half way out of the old shell....dead as a doornail.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've kept cleaner shrimp for years without problems. i do agree that a molting looks exactly like a dead shrimp. i was fooled a few times.
since i've never seen any of those fish attack a shrimp, i'd have to put the "look alike" lawnmower blenny under the spotlight. what kind of fish is it really?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: