JSweeney76

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey. I'm contemplating adding an eel to my 75 gallon reef and saw that someone on this site has a zebra moray eel for sale. I did some research and found that they are the most docile of the morays. I understand that they do eat ornamental shrimp which I don't have because I already house a dwarf lionfish. My biggest concern is that they apparently also eat clams. I have four tridacnas and would hate for them to be consumed. Does anyone have any experience with these eels or have any opinions about adding this to my tank?

BTW, I've read that a tank of 125 or larger is recommended. If that's the case, I'm cycling my 220 and could always transition it into that tank. Thanks for the help.

Jim

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Jim, if you don't mind it digging, and spewing & piling up the sand helter skelter, and you have no small fish including gobies & wrasse that sleep in the sand I guess you could.

I WOULD NOT do it! I have a zebra & a snowflake in my what use to be FOWLR. They are housed with 4 clown fish, a 6line wrasse, anemonies, few leathers & polyps. But I would never consider putting either into my reef.;)

Oh, and as they dig the sand out from around the rocks the rocks do shift.:(

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
They will eat inverts and clams, so you need to be careful. They're also very clumsy and they don't see very well, which leads them to knocking over corals. The most important thing is they put a big load on your system, as they eat a lot and produce a lot of waste. The bigger tank the better with them, as even small ones are good size. You may want to look at the small Dwarf Eel, they're reef safe and don't get larger than 12".

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
albano i seen that eel too but i also seen the size wolfguy tank it was alot bigger than a 75
:scratchch He mentioned going to a bigger tank...

BTW, I've read that a tank of 125 or larger is recommended. If that's the case, I'm cycling my 220 and could always transition it into that tank. Thanks for the help.
Jim

...apology accepted ............ :joke:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: