Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice on where to buy certain components. I bought a tank, heater, hood, lights, filter, thermometer in a 55 gallon tank kit. I also bought live sand, a hydrometer, water treatment, pooka shells and a little bit of dead rock.

My tank is going to get delivered tonight, so to complete set up I will also need aquarium salt for the water. Do you think I also need live rock in addition to the live sand? Or can the sand bacteria be used to seed regular rock?

I am having problems finding someone/somewhere to buy from, even after searching the forums. A lot of websites/phone numbers have not been updated. If I live way uptown, what are my options to find salt? and live rock? About to look on craigslist.

Thanks.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Hey,

This is an expensive hobby so finding good deals is always good.

Check out manhattan aquariums on 37th btwn 10 and 11th, they can help you with starting up.

You will first need to cycle your tank before adding anything and live rock and sand helps with this process.

I would suggest you read up alittle on starting a new tank and better yet check out everyones tank thread so you can see how they did it. It will help you learn from other mistake and in the long wrong save you alot of money.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would suggest you read up alittle on starting a new tank and better yet check out everyones tank thread so you can see how they did it. It will help you learn from other mistake and in the long wrong save you alot of money.

Definitely read up on other's threads.. You will be so much more knowledgeable.:)
Do check out the "For Sale" forum here, lots of good deals to be had!!

Welcome to this wonderful/awful hobby!:wink1: It is a love/hate addiction.:biggrin:

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Foster n smith they bring it to your front door minimum purchase 49$ they have everything if you are buying new, buy some try rock cheaper you don't have to wait 2 month to cycle then seed the rock with some cycled live rock buy like 10lb from the market place ,make sure rock looks pest free with lots of purple algae

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: