JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm looking to pick up a tiny maxima clam for my nano. but all the shops I've been to only sell large clams for $100+. I remember coral theory would have them 1-2" in size and had them for pretty decent prices but these guys have gone MIA for a while....

anybody else know any shops that have small clams?

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
The small ones need alot more attention than the ones that are 4+. they need to be fed daily and need almost perfect water. The larger/ older ones are more tolerant which is probably why they cost more.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Phyto/ there are others that would say Nitrate/ Ammonium, but Id stick to phyto, large amounts several times a day. I've seen people take the baby clams out of their display, place the clams in a seperate tank just for feeding time. Leave them in there for around 30-45 minutes. This "Feeding" tank will have high nutrient levels and would be loaded with Phyto each feeding time. I've witnessed the clams open/ close several times which showed a feeding response, but its alot of work and they only need this until they are around 3 inches. The "feeding" tank can be a simple shallow tupperware or something that would be easy to replace the water to match the water quality in the display and them chucked out after each feeding time. In other words you need alot of make up water to do this.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Generally the small ones are very hard to keep if they are under 3". I have personally had one since 1.5" and have not target fed once.

However, i do have stable perfect water quality and do feed the tank various foods.

If your tank is stable, established and you think you can tolerate some extra feedings then go for it. I would suggest going for something around 3" or more.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't have clams now, but I have found that they have limited life spans in my tank. 1-3 years, with most living closer to 3. I find that 2" appears to be the dividing line between easy and hard. The smaller ones may not last even a week with me, but at 2", they do well. I prefer them at that size. They grow extremely rapidly. But I find that at about 3.5" or so, they just stop growing for me. In fact, when I have bought clams that size, they barely grow at all, even though they expand well and maintain their color.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: