shookONES

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I set up a new tank and went the dry rock/sand route with bottled bacteria and here we are…6 weeks later with no ammonia, high nitrites, and nitrates just starting to show up on test kits.

Anyone in NJ running a relatively clean and established reef that wouldn’t mind selling some rubble to help seed my new tank? My tank is destined for acros so bonus points if you run an SPS system.

Any little bit helps!

53AA7C88-639D-4BDC-BE70-1B47185F7160.jpeg

I set up a new tank and went the dry rock/sand route with bottled bacteria and here we are…6 weeks later with no ammonia, high nitrites, and nitrates just starting to show up on test kits.

Anyone in NJ running a relatively clean and established reef that wouldn’t mind selling some rubble to help seed my new tank? My tank is destined for acros so bonus points if you run an SPS system.

Any little bit helps!

View attachment 328715

What type of bottle bacteria did u use?

If u used something like Dr. Tim’s one and only, u should/could add the fish into the tank right away. This way the fish waste is will feed the bottle bacteria u put in and continue to build up over time.

I’ve set up 3 tanks over the past 10yrs and that’s the route I took. This time around, I used Dr. Tim’s ammonia to get the tank to go through the cycle.

I too just set up dry rock tank and Personally, I would not add substrate from another tank. Tank contamination is real ?

shookONES

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I started the tank with Brightwell Start XLM. I actually added some freshwater mollies immediately and they’ve been doing fine the entire time.

My frustration lies in the tanks ability to keep ammonia at zero, but nitrites remain sky high. Nitrates are slowly on the rise, so the biological process is happening, but going on 6 weeks seems excessive.

I started the tank with Brightwell Start XLM. I actually added some freshwater mollies immediately and they’ve been doing fine the entire time.

My frustration lies in the tanks ability to keep ammonia at zero, but nitrites remain sky high. Nitrates are slowly on the rise, so the biological process is happening, but going on 6 weeks seems excessive.
Yea sounds like ur definitely going through cycle. Definitely wait it out. No point adding substrate from another tank just to speed up the process by 1-2 weeks.

Adding pure ammonia into my tank only took 2-3 week cycle on mine. The nitrite spike lasted 2x as long as the ammonia spike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: