jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
inkblue said:
won't water changes reduce it :scratchch

temporarily they will but if your nitrates keep climbing up often your setup is flawed and should be corrected if you want to provied the best environment for your fish, corals, and inverts.

I know I sound like a broken record but there is an easy answer.

GET A BIGGER/BETTER FREAKIN SKIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Noodus said:
looking to lower my nitrates... if anyone has a nitrate reductor to sell or trade. i'd like one.
what of filtration do you have ,,bio-balls,refuge,sump?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I have AZ-NO3 wihch reduces nitrate ,,i bought this a while back ago when i had a fish only with a bio-ball system ,never used it ,but this is not the way to rid of nitrate or anything of the sort ,there is a reason why you have nitrates ,,you need to know why ,,so a run down of what oyu are running for filters would be good ,

Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
72 gal with 18 gal refuge
80 lbs live rock
3 inch sand bed
lots of cheato macro alge
1 red mangrove
5 shaving brush plants
18 hermits
20 nassarius snails
1 mex turbo snail
1 tiger sea cucumber
10 green chromis (1.5 inches)
2 black saddleback clowns (1.5 inches)
1 yellow assessor (1.5 inches)
1 lawnmower blenny (3 inches)
1 fridmani dottyback (2 inches)
1 randall's shrimp goby (2 inches)
1 pistol shrimp
1 engineer goby
1 cleaner shrimp
lots of live critters on the live rock.

aquac ev-120 skimmer
eheim 2026 canister filter
bag of carbon

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jackson6745 said:

you should just open your own skimmer company already!
(i'll take a free sample)

truth is, nitrates should be handled by your live sand bed and live rock. if it is still climbing, add more rock/sand.

or feed less, your fuge should be providing a lot of food if you have so many critters.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Noodus, you have a lot of fish. Your current system can't keep up with your bio-load. Either decrease the amount of fish/feeding, upgrade skimmer, or increase the size and amount of water changes......very easy solution. You simply need to remove the waste in your tank.

Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
nitrates are running at 30ppm and i do have mushrooms, star polys, zoos, pagoda cup, and some other small corals. however i did just figure something out. i have two tanks and strip test is reading exactly the same for both. so i think there might be a chance my strip tests have gone bad. so i'm going to get a new nitrate tester and retest.

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Nsr250NYC said:
thats what i was gonna say. but if you ever upgrade, i'll be interested in the skimmer :D
upgrade both filter and skimmer ,this way you are safe in both direction

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
jackson6745 said:
temporarily they will but if your nitrates keep climbing up often your setup is flawed and should be corrected if you want to provied the best environment for your fish, corals, and inverts.

I know I sound like a broken record but there is an easy answer.

I couldnt agree more!
the only thing I'll add is an ozone reactor w/ an redox controller

Noodus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
how bout two skimmers? is that better than one, i lack the space to get a bigger one. and is there any wrong with a nitrate reductor? also what would a ozone reactor do?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: