• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Do they have to be powered by anything? Could they work on gravity if the supply tank (or bucket or jar) is above the sump (assuming that's where the fresh water is being poured.)

tangale

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm not too sure about the gravity ones. I've heard that they aren't the best, but what do I know.

On a seperate note, instead of a float switch...do you think setting a timer on the powerhead for a minute a day would suffice? The powerhead would pump freshwater into my sump to replenish the evaporated sw. I would prob split the hose of the output from powerhead, just so that not too much water goes into the sump. Decent idea???? Thanks!

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
tangale said:
I'm not too sure about the gravity ones. I've heard that they aren't the best, but what do I know.

On a seperate note, instead of a float switch...do you think setting a timer on the powerhead for a minute a day would suffice? The powerhead would pump freshwater into my sump to replenish the evaporated sw. I would prob split the hose of the output from powerhead, just so that not too much water goes into the sump. Decent idea???? Thanks!

Bad bad bad idea, don't do it unless you like mopping up water everyday.
I have a home made ATO system that works great, but it took alot of effort to get it just the way I want it.
Probably cost me $15, but 2 weeks of finessing.

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yeah, I think putting the power-head on a timer could cause floods and flunctuating SG levels. You never know how much water needs to be replaced at any given time. Room temperature, humidity - all influence how much water is evaporated. It won't be the same all the time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: