Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My Wife wants to buy me a new tank and stand. Well she really wants to get the stand, but if I have to move my tank, then I really should get a new tank too. I currently have a 55 gallon which a good length in the spot it's in. I want to get a custom made tank with a built in overflow that is external (Does that make sense?) and some pre-drilled holes for water return. That might hopefully allow for enough water movement to not need a tunze. The stand should be real wood, not particle board stuff, for the 55 gallon I'll be getting. Where should I go?

Doc

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I would also change to a slightly larger tank.

the 55 is a really tough shape to aquascape, the narrow width makes it difficult.

a 65 which is shorter but deeper is a good choice, or the two that Kris mentioned,

of course if your okay with the 48" length you might as well get a 120, overall the

cost of the equipment and upkeep will be similar to a 90.

If you would like to see any of these sizes let us know and we'll set up some

appointments with people closest to you that have the tanks set up.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
I say get a 120 and get an oceanic - your wife will love the furniture-quality stands and hood they produce. They come reef-ready with overflow boxes and returns. I personally wou;dn't rely totally on an external pump - if it fails, you have a total of 2 hours to replace it or everything is dead - I would go with both, TUNZE and external pump (this is my current set-up).

If I had to do a tank again and didn't have the luxury of building it in the wall, I would go with Oceanic with a cherry finish.

Oh, yeah, dude, if you can only use 4" go for the 120, you'lvv never look back.

JMHO

House

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good for Doc ,
I have a90 gal ,If i knew what i know now wheni started i would of went with te oceanic 120 or 155 bowfront,I happy with the 90 but would of been happier withthe 120or 155 ,Good luck with your new tank ,dont forget to post progress pics ,

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Man you guys have no clue what my wife would do to me if i was married
1st ,my selling tanks and other things .took over my kitchen.which means no oven,Nope i dont cook ,so its cool
what do you think shell do to you if you did that :) lol

oh yeah ,i forgot to mention that my freezer is taken over by fish food . :bigeyes2:

nyfireman3097

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Doc i didnt read the whole thing but i have a 55 gallon with flouresents wet dry 80lbs LS about 80-100 pounds of LR for sale tank and stand its black i have it at my firehouse it has a damsel and some snails no one but I takes care of it so im selling it LMK if your interested
Nick

Doc

Reef Doctor
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Wow everyone, thanks for all the words of encouragement. I brought the upgrade up with Robyn (My Wife). She noted that we have to worry about the floor giving out. I live on the second floor. How do I know how much weight the floor would hold? It's a wood floor in a fairly new building. Also how much more space does the bowfront take up. I want to plan this tank well.

Doc

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
in a new building you should be fine.

make sure to place the tank against a load bearing wall, an outside wall to make sure, and have the tank parallel to the wall. most joists will run from outside wall to outside wall, so doing this makes sure the tank load is spread out over at least a few joists. I would suggest a flat bottom stand so there is no possibility of stand legs denting the wood floor.

I would feel comfortable with a tank the size of a 180 sitting on a new construction

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: