Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely incorrect when it comes to leds. 4500k is the tag it is given. In the overall sense, that number is meaningless. Evergrow's 4500K, and Sosci's 4500k are completely different leds, despite both being "Bridgelux 4500k".

The actual spectrum output of the led is much more important. The 4500k led that evergrow/reefbreeders uses is actually very good, and more closely mimics a 10k MH bulb in spectrum output, NOT a 4500k MH. Combined in a 2:1 rb to white ratio, the color is a very appealing 16-18k, and a wide range of spectrum is provided, along with adding 410-430nm violet leds, and a few 660nm red. I know this because I have it over my tank.

It also does not grow algae any quicker than a MH bulb would in a tank with correct parameters.
Any pics about your tank with this lighting? :wink1:

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Here are a few tank shots (its hard to take pictures of LED's). I have the 3500k's like in my design but at some point when I have time will probably swap for 4500k (like I said weren't available at the time. Basically because you are using blues + white you don't want the whites high k rating as they blend. I like 3:2 ration blue to white. Red and green are really just for aesthetics as the white has red spectrum covered for growth.

20130506181453.jpg

img20130607212338.jpg

photofeb1780829pm.jpg

bhazard451

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The only red you want in slightly higher intensity is around the 660nm range. The whites don't provide enough on their own, which is why a few 660s are both visually appealing, and good for some coral. You don't want to be too heavy in the 500-600nm range.

I'm still undecided if I like just neutral whites, or a mix. With Crees, I found a CW:NW:WW mix of the high bins to have an awesome crisp white look. Too many variables to attempt on your own without changing layouts multiple times though. Its much easier when the company you buy from can pick an optimal one for you.

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thought id throw a little biology into this. When choosing your led's you need to consider not just others tanks but the organisms you want to grow. A friend growing deepwater corals may have awesome success with a very blue/white setup but if you plan on having more shallow organisms your light needs to be different. Red orange and yellow are able to penetrate 15,30, and 45 m of ocean water. Shallow corals will take advantage of these wavelengths and if your leds lack them it will be detrimental. Including a few very yellow lights may not be the most aesthetically pleasing but some of your organisms will find them pleasing. I think its important to consider what you want to keep and mimic their environment and if your not sure have a broad spectrum of colors to keep everyone happy. Ive pasted in the color chart of light penetration from noaa for a reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 182

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I've done it again and designed some new lights I hope they come out good. I made these for a friend to use over a frag tank. I will get some pictures when they arrive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: