• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gal SW reef, I use tap water but am looking into RO units, I would like one that I can connect to my kitchen sink and detach when not needed. I am hoping to get one inexpensive. WHat do you guys recommend? Place to purchase? Thanks

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that link was very helpful, and all you need is replace the beads about 6-12 months depending correct? I think I am gonna go with this unit. I was looking at the MAKO for AquaFX I am just trying to see the difference in the 2 units there has to be a reason why one is about 100 and the other 275.

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua FX Mako has
5-stage
The Mako offers the following features:
  • High efficiency 1-micron sediment pre-filter
  • 2-micron chlorine guzzler carbon block pre-filter or our exclusive chlorine and chloramine-removal filters
  • High flow / high rejection TFC membrane
  • High-efficiency color-changing DI cartridge
  • 160 PSI pressure gauge marked with operating and unsafe ranges
  • In-Line TDS meter (click here for more information)
  • Solid Aluminum "no-rust" metal mounting bracket
  • Clear 10" filter cartridge housings.
The Aquasafe comes with (1) 100 GALLONS PER DAY RATED REVERSE OSMOSIS MEMBRANE.

(1) NEEDLE PIERCING VALVE FOR FEED WATER.

(1) SADDLE CLAMP FOR DISCHARGE WATER.

(1) WRENCH FOR CHANGING FILTERS.

(1) REFILLABLE HEAVY DUTY CLEAR CANISTER WITH 16 OUNCES OF COLOR CHANGING DI RESIN FROM Purolite.

(1) SET OF FOUR PRE AND POST RO FILTER..1 5M SEDIMENTARY, ONE GAC CARBON, 1 5M CARBON BLOCK AND 1 GAC FINAL FOR TASTE AND ODOR.

(1) AUTOMATIC SHUT OFF VALVE WITH QUICK CONNECTORS.

(1) STAINLESS STEEL CHECK VALVE.

(1) EXTERNAL MOUNTED FLOW RESTRICTOR WITH E-Z BALL VALVE.

(10) Feet of extra tubing.

(1) MANUAL SHUT-OFF BALL VALVE FOR E-Z CONTAINER FILLING.

The Mako has 1micron filters which is superior then the 5Micron offered in Aquasafe.

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It really doesn't matter what unit you pick, all that matters is the ro membrane. Most units use the same size ro membrane. If you buy a cheap ro unit and the ro membrane is not removing enough badstuff out the tap, just replace it for one of the better companies(Kent, Specture Pure)

xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the aqua safe states:
Our membranes are "Made in the USA" and fully certified by NSF. We buy our membranes from www.appliedmembranes.com. They are TFC membranes made with material from Dow Chemical. This membrane will auto-flush contaminants down the drain. 100 GPD membranes are good for 5 years +/-.

Our DI resins are "Made in the USA" and come from Purolite. It is their Nuclear Grade top of the line resin. This is the highest quality available. The 16 ounces of resin will last the average home 12 months...this equals about $.01 per gallon! The beads change when depleted.

The Mako is a Reverse Osmosis and Deionization system. The standard unit comes with 1-micron sediment filtration, a carbon block for VOC reduction, a DOW membrane, and 2 color indicting deionization (DI) resin cartridges. In most instances, this unit will provide laboratory grade water.This reverse osmosis / deionization system has redundancy in the DI stage for the MOST DEMANDING water quality customers. The Mako is available in 50, 100, 200 and 300 GPD flow rates. The Mako offers the following features:
  • High efficiency 1-micron sediment pre-filter
  • 2-micron chlorine guzzler carbon block pre-filter or our exclusive chlorine and chloramine-removal filters
  • High flow / high rejection TFC membrane
  • High-efficiency color-changing DI cartridge
  • 160 PSI pressure gauge marked with operating and unsafe ranges
  • In-Line TDS meter (click here for more information)
  • Solid Aluminum "no-rust" metal mounting bracket
  • Clear 10" filter cartridge housings.
It looks like the Mako has a membrane from TFC I guess I should go with the Aquasafe.

How long does it take to make a gallon using the aquascape? For the price difference it seems like there has to be a difference. Has anyone used the Mako system?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I use the 6 stage Aquasafe also.
You ask how long it takes to make a gallon with Aquascape? That all depends on what your source water PSI is, plus the rejection rate of the RO/DI filter.

FWIW, My system is the 100 gpd. The 75 gpd system is actually more efficient. It has a better rejection rate. Higher gpd does not always translate into a better system.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
xxnonamexx said:
Also the faucet attachment I have a pipe w/o threads how does it hook up?

If your faucet doesn't have a threaded outlet, then you won't be able to use the faucet attachement. You can use a saddle valve underneath your sink. They work great.

The 75 gpd system is more efficient than the 100 gpd. That could make your decision easier. Make no mistake about it, I use the 100 gpd system and it works fine. But the rejection rate on the 75 makes it more efficient.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: