Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Do you think that is the "trick". Without feeding, or very minimal feeding, nitrates cant get outta control? Is that the one thing we all had in common?
Precisely... You feed fish, fish eat food, fish release ammonia, benificial bacteria break down ammonia to nitrite, nitrite is broken down to less toxic nitrate which some will be used up by aglae and corals. That's why people do water change and use scrubbers and skimmers...

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Feed once in 2 weeks? I feed 3 times a day my 3 fish. Goes to show this hobby is basically do whatever you want no wright or wrong.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Tank looks good. Would like to see outcome after the water change.
I don't think I'll ever change from doing a 20g water change every month. But I do understand how hectic life can get. I don't mind doing the water change, it's just that for me, I have to move the 20g tank and RODI from the garage to the laundry room every month. Major PIA.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
heh, i live in the bronx.. i was buying RODI for my WC from max reef in yonkers, imagine bringing back 35 gallons of water in my car every sunday..

i have a RODI unit, but have zero plumbing skillz so it's been sitting under my sink since i got my setup..

i think it's one of the main reasons i got turned off with doing WC.. paying for RODI isnt that back,

having to go 15 - 20 miles away to get the rodi, that was the main problem

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
imagine bringing back 35 gallons of water in my car every sunday..
No and this info helps understand for me anyway why one mite not do a water change every week.
I take I for granted my RODI is made up at all times and I just have to go into my fish room, put salt in,turn on a pump & heater to mix.
I'm also using ESV salt so it is ready to use as soon as it is mixed(maybe a hour?)

Water change still takes me two hours every Saturday :smoker:

Totally understandable

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
heh, i live in the bronx.. i was buying RODI for my WC from max reef in yonkers, imagine bringing back 35 gallons of water in my car every sunday..

i have a RODI unit, but have zero plumbing skillz so it's been sitting under my sink since i got my setup..

i think it's one of the main reasons i got turned off with doing WC.. paying for RODI isnt that back,

we bring the same amount back every week, just its not RODI. its nutri sea water! so think about that! :P

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not all of us dont do water changes for the reason of carrying di water. I have to make and top off five gallons a week anyway. If i do the math on the time i spend making solutions dosing and testing doing a water change would probably save me time and money. I went the no change path after reading primary lit on coral growth and deciding that stability was what i wanted to make most important. Its worked for me but may not for others its actually alot of work but i enjoy trying to control my environment.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Not all of us dont do water changes for the reason of carrying di water. I have to make and top off five gallons a week anyway. If i do the math on the time i spend making solutions dosing and testing doing a water change would probably save me time and money. I went the no change path after reading primary lit on coral growth and deciding that stability was what i wanted to make most important. Its worked for me but may not for others its actually alot of work but i enjoy trying to control my environment.

Its just the question with SPS, with they get messed up with no water change and wrong levels? does all the levels stay the same without replenishing the elements back into the water with out the waterchange and on RO water?

Yani1133

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Was nervous about this but after doing a ton of reading about researchers growing acros under different concentrations of mag,cal, and alk and finding they still grew, just in different shapes and most of the skeleton composition studies done were pretty sensitive and werent picking up and odd elements so i decided to roll the dice with dosing calc, mag, and alk and ive had no issues with my acro and monti growth over six months with no change.

dba

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was nervous about this but after doing a ton of reading about researchers growing acros under different concentrations of mag,cal, and alk and finding they still grew, just in different shapes and most of the skeleton composition studies done were pretty sensitive and werent picking up and odd elements so i decided to roll the dice with dosing calc, mag, and alk and ive had no issues with my acro and monti growth over six months with no change.

I've never dosed or even tested for mag, I only worry about and dosing alk / calc. Now that I am in almost a year into the hobby, I am going to concentrate on testing everything possible, and doing some deep research on the ideal needs of my tank.

I've read too many varieties of what's right and wrong and want to come up with my own scenario of what works for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: