Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

It has been months now since I have been fighting green hair algae which covers some of my rocks and corals. I have just downgraded to a 75 rimless with new sand bed with existing live rock and 50% of old tank water.
Question what are the best way to fight green hair algae?

I am running rowaphos, I have a refiugium as well. Below is a screen shot of my water parameters.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2014-04-15 06:56:41 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-04-15 06:56:41 EDT.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 367
  • ImageUploadedByReefs2014-04-15 06:56:59 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2014-04-15 06:56:59 EDT.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 354

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk, cal and mag will have nothing to do with green hair algae. Did you change your feeding schedule? What is it like?

Oneilwiz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys here is my response to your questions/ suggestions

- change 5 to 10 g if water every week or two (RO/DI )

- using BRS canister for my rowaphos
- currently have two snails
- feeding cycle is one to two times a day with only three to four pieces of pellet.
-stock (6 small fish- hippo, yellow, clown , royal gramma

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Lower your phospates to as low as u can and keep it there. In one month u will see it get loose. Cleaning crew will help and tangs. Do water change every week. Don't waste your time checking for nitrates cause even though they are high right now it will show that you have zero cause the alge is feeding from it. Keep all other levels where ou have them right now

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem, but with red carpet algae. Much more difficult to eradicate.
I employed an army of Turbos. Way more than I would need for my 40g tank. Within 10 days the algae was gone.
I then donated the army to a friend with a similar issue.

Avoid chemicals if you can. Try the natural approach first.

Waleedwale1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
294   0   0
Chaeto helped me a lot. My tank was infested by hair hair algae. Then I got a red LED and ran chaeto in my refugium and added a few hermits and snails. The chaeto grew like crazy and now I only have a few small patches of hair algae.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: