cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
No salinity is an expensive add on. I sent you pm I have the apex system package brand new for $50 less that I just ordered and won't be using so want to sell before rent is due.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hi Matt,

If you want the salinity probe, it is indeed an add-on. If you are willing to go that route, I would suggest looking at the Neptune Apex "Gold" package, it contains the standard APEX, with temperature, pH, ORP and salinity probes.

The salinity is just measured using a probe similar to any other measure, which gives a conductivity number. But this number is translated into salinity. Aka "ppt". (for the hardcore guys who want the conductivity number, you can still get it, it is a setting).

It is a somewhat delicate probe however, you need to make sure that it is fully submerged, and that no air has made it inside. But once set it is pretty easy to use (some do recommend to recalibrate it more often than other probes).

ps: on a side note, nobody has mentioned it here, but the GHL Profilux is also a very good controller. Which comes packed with plugs for every probe imaginable. However it is harder to find, and well... the translation from German in the manual can be "interesting".

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I bought the apex gold package now just gotta figure out what to do with it lol

First question to run a wire to my router will be a 1/2 a days work for me drilling through walls and cabinets to snake the wire a reef buddy recommend to me that I use a wifi adapter anyone have any experience with this and apex??

Or is there some reason I really should just do the work run the wire?

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Hey matt, for updates I hook up my laptop to the apex. The laptop is wireless so I hardwire the laptop to the apex unit. It worked for me last time although neptune walked me through it remotely cause I'm not good with computers. Lol

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hi Matt,

When I needed to do an update (which happened once, to be able to control my Radion), I just ran a long ethernet cable to my router.

I use it for everything...
- turn lights on off
- turn chiller/heater as needed
- dosing
- checking for incorrect parameters and sending messages accordingly
- leak detection and act accordingly (shut down return pump).
- change the mode on my Vortech. (I have the WMX module to "talk" to Ecotech products)

You can do a lot with it, but I would suggest you start slowly... to get accustomed to it.

Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ok question I run 2 250 w mh pendants and 2 radions but the way I have things set up I'd need to use a power coats to plug them into where I'm gonna have my apex should I use a hevy duty ext cord ??
Right now I'm using 2 fans and they r pluged into a ext cord and then into a timer but it makes me nervous what's the right cord to use for aquarium application

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hi Matt, where would the power cord be? You do not want to use extensions for high-power devices. The EB8 should be plugged directly to the wall, and your lights ballasts directly to the EB8.

In fact if I were you I would actually get a second EB8, and plug 1 Radion + 1 MH to each, rather than everything on the same (I forgot what is the max Amps you can get out), or at least make sure they are not all juicing up at the same time.

As for the fans themselves, they should not be drawing much, just check for the information about how many amps they are drawing.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: