Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys really have some great aquariums. I'm still waiting for my table aquarium (aquaam dot com/wine-table-aquarium/). Really expensive, but considering how awesome it looks and that the vision through it isn't blurred (it's a unique table made in Japan from Birds Eye), I think it's reasonable.

What do you guys think?

warm regards,
Michael

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
You guys really have some great aquariums. I'm still waiting for my table aquarium (aquaam dot com/wine-table-aquarium/). Really expensive, but considering how awesome it looks and that the vision through it isn't blurred (it's a unique table made in Japan from Birds Eye), I think it's reasonable.

What do you guys think?

warm regards,
Michael

pretty nice looking
but too expensive!

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Super Reef Octopus LX-1000S Hang On Back Protein Skimmer.

I was looking to replace the Innovative Marine Protein Skimmer because it looked like such an eyesore in the new aquarium. At this point I am not interested in running a sump on the system. So I purchased a Reef Octopus BH-2000 Hang On Back Protein Skimmer from Reef Specialty a few days ago. Unfortunately, I was told it would be shipped the same day or the next day. Well three days later it still wasn't shipped. I called to get an inquiry on shipping and each time I called I was told I had to submit an email to find out about the status of the order and with each call I received an annoyed tone. So I reached out to Russ of Saltwater Critters and he assisted me with no issues. So I purchased a Super Reef Octopus LX-1000S Hang On Back Protein Skimmer and picked it up from him in person. He is definitely an awesome guy and I found where I will be purchasing the rest of my equipment from.

My first thoughts is that this thing is huge and built solid. I actually had to move my aquarium up away from the wall in order to properly accommodate it. And even then I wasn't sure if it was going to fit on the aquarium properly. But thankfully it did. Just to put it in perspective my kitchen table can fit 8 well sized adults with no issues. Also when priming the unit I filled it with over 1.5 gallons of saltwater just to get the priming started properly.

I am glad that I was able to fit it in without having to reconstruct any of the aquascaping within the aquarium. But I have to say for such a large protein skimmer my first thoughts are this thin is SILENT! And I have not seen a single micro bubble enter the aquarium. Also after minutes of operation I have never seen a such texture coming up the tube into the collection cup. I don't think I have every used the word frothy to describe the bubble production up the tube of a protein Skimmer. I have to say I am quite pleased with this protein skimmer.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Bryopsis Algae Control.

It looks like the reef keeping gods have decided to test me with as many of the most common problems in starting a marine reef aquarium as possible. Now although I purchase Nutri-SeaWater as my already mixed saltwater I don't have an RO/DI unit (I just purchased one and I am waiting for it to be delivered) so my top off water for evaporation has been coming from my Poland Spring Water Dispenser. No I know bad me for not using RO/DI water from the start but it is what it is. So, this has contributed to a big Bryopsis Algae bloom in my aquarium. Although as pretty as it looked swaying back and forth in the aquarium I did notice how rapidly it was spreading on the rock. So I looked for the most natural solution possible, while avoiding solutions such as raising magnesium levels to extremely high levels. I think some of the many mistakes we make in this hobby, and I am by no means excluded from this is that we look to quick remedies to get fast results for issues in the aquarium. I am trying desperately to avoid this.

I did some research online and found that other hobbyist have had success in naturally removing the Bryopsis Algae using Mexican Turbo Snails and Lettuce Nudibranch. So I headed to Maximum Reef Aquatics in Yonkers, New York and they just happen to have some of the most beautiful looking Lettuce Nudibranchs and some almost gold ball sized Mexican Turbo Snails. So I purchased them and off I went with my solution in hand. After a drip acclimation period of about 1 hour for each species I placed them in my aquarium and they all went to work. It has been three days since I introduced them into my aquarium and 50% of the Bryopsis is gone. At this rate I will have to start supplementing their diet with Algae sheets by the end of the week.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Possible Baby Lettuce Nudibranch?

After adding two Lettuce Nudibrachs into my aquarium to deal with a Bryopsis Algae issue a day or so later I stumbled across this guy moving on the glass. Not sure but to me it looks like a baby Lettuce Nudibranch. Any thoughts?

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Bryopsis Algae Control Update.

So it has been a few weeks since I have had some time to update everyone on my Bryopsis Algae issues that popped in up about 3 weeks ago. But I am happy to report that within a week of adding my team of three Mexican Turbo Snails and two Lettuce Nudibrachs their is no trace of the Bryopsis Algae at all and I have had to start supplementing my cleanup crews diet with dried seaweed sheets almost nightly because their appetite is so voracious. But I would rather than then further algae problems.

Bryiopsis algae issue which begin approximately 3 weeks ago in my aquarium.

A Mexican Turbo Snail eating some of the bryopsis algae within my aquarium.

A Lettuce Nudibranch eating some of the bryopsis algae within my aquarium.

Bryiopsis algae issue 3 days after introducing the three Mexican Turbo Snail and two Lettuce Nudibranchs into my aquarium.

My aquarium with no visible sight of Bryopsis Algae after 1 week of introduction of the three Mexican Turbo Snails and two Lettuce Nudibranchs.

One of the Mexican Turbo Snails within my aquarium enjoying a sheet of dried seaweed as its supplemental diet.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Water General 150 GPD 6-Stage RO/DI Water Filtration System.

Up until this point I have been utilizing Poland Spring water as top off freshwater for my aquarium. This probably has brought on most of the algae issues as I use Nutri-Seawater for my regular salt mix. It utilizes an Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump since the main water pressure is only 35 PSI. This unit requires a minimum 60 PSI to function properly. I am pretty happy with the system so far. I made my first batch of top off freshwater and I'm hoping to see some phosphate levels drop in the next few weeks.

My new Water General 150 GPD RO/DI Water Filtration Unit. Some Assembly required.

Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump which pulls water from the kitchen sinks main cold water source.

Plumbing split from the kitchen sink main cold water source. One goes to the Aquatec 8800 Booster Pump and the other goes to my refrigerator.

My new Water General 150 GPD RO/DI Water Filtration Unit installed under the kitchen sink.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10w ES.

I purchased an additional EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10w ES pump for my aquarium to most address the issue of additional surface agitation/water flow in the aquarium. I have been unable to raise the first Vortech I purchased without stirring up the sand bed to get the required flow I wanted. So the second Vortech was purchased and placed on the right of the aquarium just offset to the rear slightly. The pumps are not synchronized wirelessly since I still have to purchase the RF Card for the first Vortech I purchased so I am having a little trouble getting them to play nicely to make the flow I want. But the clams an corals seem happy so who am I to complain? The only real issue I am having it that I'm getting this sandstorm tornado on the right side of my rockwork which is annoying me. I guess I will have to play around where they are mounted and see if it makes a difference.

My second EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10w ES Pump for additional water flow.

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10w ES mounted on the right side of my aquarium offset slightly to the rear of the pane.

EcoTech marine Vortech MP10w ES and MP10 ES control units.

Sandstorm issue on the lower right hand side of the aquarium.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Super Reef Octopus LX-1000S Hang On Back Protein Skimmer Update.

My system has been doing very well in terms of overall water quality. But since my last outbreak I don't have any fish. Just a bunch of inverts running around my aquarium. Since that I only feed the corals and the few inverts I have once a week with a single cube of Hikari Baby Brine Shrimp and a few drops Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast. The skimmer seems to be doing well.

One weeks worth of skimmate collection from my aquarium.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Slowly Dropping pH, Calcium & Alkalinity Levels.

So I have added a about 7 small mini Acropora colonies (more like large frags about 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches into my aquarium since the water parameters seemed stable enough and over the past three weeks my water parameters have started to take a dive. I've also noticed that a few of the Acropora colonies seem to be suffering from burned tips. No I have a very minimum bioload as there are no fish in my aquarium and I feed only twice a week. But I am curious what could be causing the drop in pH, Calcium and Alkalinity. The only thing I can think of it that I don't have enough surface agitation to break up the slime film on top of the water. I don't have any accurate means of measure but I do believe it getting worse. I can't get enough flow on the Vortechs to break up the surface without causing a sandstorm. Would this build really have a profound effect on my levels dropping (obviously the calcium would be in relation to the alkalinity)? I do not have a sump and if I need more surface agitation I was considering placing in to Tunze Nano Streams Aimed constantly at the surface. Any thought?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: