fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The tank looks great! I've been in the same boat with the lighting dilemma. It's amazing how much more of the tank you see when you switch to T5. For me, I missed the sunrise/sunset and overall dimming/spectrum customization features of the LEDs and EcoSmartLive in particular. This is what ultimately led me to put the LEDs back on the tank BUT I seriously think my tank would benefit from 2 T5 supplement bulbs that run about 4-6 hours around peak intensity. Is T5 supplementation something you considered and decided against and are you completely satisfied with the lighting as it is?

That PowerModule is one beautiful looking fixture over that tank!

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Thanks John. The switch wasn't to save heat or electricity, it was to get complete coverage and increase growth (since I lost so many corals and had to frag STN pieces). IME T5 gives the best, most dense growth in SPS coral. Every branch is illuminated from every angle. Only problem that I see with t5 is that many tanks get pastel colors to their SPS. Some guys like this, I'm not a fan. I may be able to get deeper colors eventually with my heavy bio-load and heavy feeding ..... we'll see. In the mean time, my alk and cal consumption has gone up 30ml each over the past month, and I see SPS growth taking off :) The plan seems to be working.

That seems to be a big change in your lighting philosophy. You used to have that high end 400w MH. Perhaps with your tank dimensions you weren't getting the coverage that you are now getting with the 10 bulb T5 fixture.

I didn't know that your tank had a small "reset". Looked back at your postings and I see it was a time/maintenance issue. So glad you were able to recover.

I'm using a Hamilton 250w MH radium over my 93 cube with a small diy LED fixture attached. Tank is doing well but SPS growth is so sloooooooooooooooooow. I'm investigating other reasons (other than lighting) for my slow growth (story for another day) but your lighting change certainly caught my interest.

Thanks for your insights. J

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we starting these threads again without actually having the tank yet??? I cant wait to see these tanks on stands! What skimmer are you looking at this time Rich? The Skimz 163 DC is kicking serious butt. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Day one

Day 2

Wow very nice pull from that skimmer I see.. Not trying to jack his thread just going through it and seen this skimmer.. I just bought it so I'm kinda stoked to see it working well.. Back to this amazing build

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals are recovering well from the transfer. Colors are improving each day and I already see some good growth happening. I added the new sump from Custom King which I think came out great. Next step is organizing and concealing a mess of wires and hooking up the Apex. Thinking about adding reefbrite led strips to the sfiligoi for added pop? What do you think?

These cell phone pics look like crap. I will update around christmas time with pics from the DSLR

Wow this is a well thought out build.. Love it.. Sooo who is this tony guy and how can I find him lol.. Second thread I seen with his work.. Amazing

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Scoots you're a genius :)

I finally got all the wires and controllers hidden and organized (somewhat) in this matching rustic cabinet. The inside of the tank is doing very well. All SPS are growing and color is improving each day. I'll post an update video soon.

Sorry bro for bringing all this back up but this really needs to be seen

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kathy :) and thank you gpscuba.

I'm happy the way things are going with this one so far. I'm keeping things super clean, while feeding quite a bit, and the growth and color increase has been significant.

2 months running for comparison

here is the tank on Nov 4th

Nov 4 2013 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Here it is on Jan 5th

Jan 6th 2014 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Kasei came by and helped me hook up the Apex controller. I have so much to lean about this thing :)

the fish closet

Fish closet by rich.colombo, on Flickr
Wow

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS 1
DSC_0007 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

FTS 2
DSC_0048 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

FTS 3
DSC_0045 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

These next few pics are taken with my cell phone. White balance is much more accurate although the image is not as sharp

Jackson's Special
Aug 29 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Nana, red table, and dragon going at it :)
IMG_0950 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Aqua SD rainbow milli frag
Aqua SD Aug 29 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
It's getting crazier!

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started off medium light, actually because partially shaded from coral growth above so I decided to move it. The last 4 months it has been high up under the halide. Color and growth has improved more since. The whole tank gets high flow :)

I've been working on getting my nutrients under control and keeping up on my maintenance a little better. Also trying to clean up some clutter which is happening slowly :)

Here is a more recent shot of the PM
IMG_2517 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Some other stuff

Oregon tort
IMG_2524 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Wild indo tort (grown for last 2 years)
IMG_2514 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Green/orange tip abrol (growing really fast now)
IMG_2516 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Some fighting between Mshur red table and purple nana. The table seems to be winning :)
IMG_2515 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

POTO Acrtic tunda Frost table :) Since I had a nutrient spike this coral has a little green to it now. I'm sure in the future it will turn red/blue again as long as I can keep my tank clean :)
IMG_2511 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Don't mind me rich I'm just bringing this photos up..

Mr Tony Metoo

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This busy work season has taken it's toll on the reef. Due to neglect, my parameters were all over the place and it took it's toll. I lost a few pieces including my huge shortcake colony, but I was able to save frags from many receding pieces. Over the past month I have stabilized things and have the tank back on track. All sps growing over any recession.
Here is what it looks like now. I'll go into more detail on exact issues later. Just wanted to log progress.

IMG_4106 by rich colombo, on Flickr
The growth in this tank is awesome

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Yea Scoots you're a genius :)

I finally got all the wires and controllers hidden and organized (somewhat) in this matching rustic cabinet. The inside of the tank is doing very well. All SPS are growing and color is improving each day. I'll post an update video soon.

This is just epically clean dude. Kudos.:thrash:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks guys.

Kenny the lighting in most of these pics is from a 400w Radium halide, with 4 t5's, and blue led reefbrites. I ran all t5 for a few months, but I'm back to halide again. Can't beat the color of a 400w radium.

Quick iPhone pic
IMG_5485 by rich colombo, on Flickr

IMG_5584 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: