Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
After 1.5 years with my Biocube 29g (my first tank), I've decided that an upgrade is due. I will document my upgrade with pictures below. My dad did majority of the DIY process, I was merely a gofer. Before I do, I would like to thank a few people that assisted with the upgrade.

Lazibonez (Reefs Creation) / Mo~idol - Thanks for the invaluable advice you guys have provided. Always have a well thoughtout answer from equipment advice to "You don't want to do that, newb!" :wink: I'll definitely have more... so clean out your PM boxes!

Alex and Kiwi of Aquatic Express - Thanks for coming by and helping me with the plumbing. All the plumbing has been redone to your specs, and the waterfall has turned into a trickle! Stop by anytime! We'll do breakfast! :D

Usual suspects at RG - Thanks fellas for all the advice you've given me!

90reefernyc - Thanks for pointing me to Berkel Marine in Astoria. They answered every question I had about the Profilux controller and making it work with my DIY LED setup.

M'akoyPinoy - Thanks for suggesting Coast to Coast Aquariums. They were a premium, but well worth it. Your upgrade is next!

Equipment List

Display Tank - Coast to Coast 36x24x20 - 3 Sided Starphire - 1" Drain / .75 Return
Sump - AGA 30L 36x12x16
Return Pump - Eheim 1260
Skimmer - Royal Exclusiv Vertex Alpha 170 Cone Skimmer
Water Movement - Vortech MP40wES & MP20 (have MP40wES upgrade kit, but might too much flow with 2 MP40s)
Lighting - 30 Cree XP-G R5 Cool White & 35 Cree XP-E Royal Blue
Controller - GHL Profilux Plus II EX + (3) EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Boards

Enough of my babbling...onto the pics.

Coast 2 Coast Tank
NewTank-3.jpg

Tabletop (made with 1" stair boards) with Homasote Frame
NewTank-7.jpg

DIY Stand with Homasote Board
NewTank-12.jpg

Light Tree (bent 1/2" aluminum conduit pipes, painted black) & stand with removable sides
NewTank-6.jpg

Inside of stand
NewTank-4.jpg

Home for Profilux Controller and future home for Profilux Doser
NewTank-8.jpg

Meanwells & 3 EVG-AP-2F Ballast Boards
NewTank-2.jpg

DIY LEDs - 5 arrays, blues & whites are controlled/dimmed independently via Profilux. A 6th can be added as I have a spare 1-10v on the Profilux. (Sorry for the bad photo, I'll take a better one later on)
NewTank-1.jpg

Sump area - Alpha 170 eats so much real estate.
NewTank-15.jpg

Water test!
NewTank-16.jpg

Will be drilling rocks and securing with nylon rods, as well as putting DIY LEDs in acrylic enclosure. Then cycling will begin...

Feel free to comment or advise... I can still make adjustments as I'll be emptying the tank tomorrow! Thanks for looking!

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Finally finished DIY acrylic hood for LEDs. Yea, I put a scratch on it already :supermad: (4) 120mm Scythe Fans on hood for cooling.
NewTank-17.jpg

Another angle of the hood with the jacks for LEDs and FANs in view.
NewTank-18.jpg

Fixture underside. Look Ma'! No clunky Heatsink!
NewTank-19.jpg

Closeup LEDs.
NewTank-20.jpg

Got rocks and sand in today as well!
NewTank-21.jpg

Let there be light!
NewTank-22.jpg

Aquascape... not entirely happy with it, but that's what it is for now. Sorry for the barreling, used fisheye lens for this pic.

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
it's about time...lol beautiful tank man! nice gears you got there love that skimmer. your dad r amazing I seen many cool DIY stuff from him.

btw(light tree pics) is that a metal strap holding the board?

Thanks Steve! Yes, those are actually carpet rails that we cut, inverted one side so it'll catch on. Something like an old PC case... it's pretty convenient, time will tell if it'll hold up.

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Thanks Steve! Yes, those are actually carpet rails that we cut, inverted one side so it'll catch on. Something like an old PC case... it's pretty convenient, time will tell if it'll hold up.

am worry about it'll get rusty and drop in the sump in a long run. most of the metal in my sump area r rusted and one of the power strip got smoked.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
am worry about it'll get rusty and drop in the sump in a long run. most of the metal in my sump area r rusted and one of the power strip got smoked.

Those strips are on the outside... I'm more concerned about the power bar and Profilux controller inside the stand. Alex already mentioned about covering it... maybe I'll make a shield out of acrylic as a cover. Bending acrylic is just a pain, not having the proper equipment doesn't help either. :D

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Finally!!!!! Looking GOOD Steve!!! I like the dimensions. I'd ask for more pics but you and I know that's not going to happen :tongue1:

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:wow: Harry... Hi Pot! I'm Kettle! hahaha.... How goes man? Any new pics? Lemme wander over to your Flickr stream....
Yeah yeah I know..... I have been MIA. It's summertime man!!! Oh yeah I do have a tank somewhere in my house last I checked :lol2:

There are some new pics but more to come next week sometime. Start uploading.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: