pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Since no one else wants to share there input on Alk+Cal, we'll move on to the next parameter.
Magnesium.
Can some of you tells us where you like to maintain your levels at and how you go about achieving it.

Last edited:

Jbanks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Since no one else wants to share there input on Alk+Cal, we'll move on to the next parameter.
Magnisium.
Can some of you tells us where you like to maintain your levels at and how you go about achieving it.

Best attempt bi-weekly water changes, mag from the CR , and 100ml of dosing of ESV Mag via doser on a weekly basis keep me in the 1400 range...

Last edited:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
15% weekly water changes keeps me @ around 1400 with ESV Salt. When I find it going below that, then I'll dose BRS two part Magnesium Chloride and Sulfate (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...lon-bulk-magnesium-sulfate-for-aquariums.html).

Remember that Magnesium is just as essential to your reef, as Cal+Alk. So maintaining proper levels is also as important.
From my experience, I've noticed better over-all results, keeping it around the +1400 zone.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I try to keep mine between .02-.05, but I don't panic until it gets to 0.1, then I take some action (less food and/or larger water change). The best method to keep PO4 low is to do regular water changes and don't overstock/overfeed IMO. I maintain WC routine but I just love fish and feeding them:) I think the only accurate method of checking PO4 levels is testing with colorimeter like hanna phosphate checker.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Obviously, the lower the better but .03-.06 seems to be fine. I would like to point out that while the Hanna meter is better than most test kits ( the Deltec and Elos kits are widely regarded as yielding similar results as the Hanna meter) the +/_ error margin on the meter is .03 and I believe .04 on the cheaper reader. So, even if you are getting an accurate reading the actual number can be quite different.

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys very informative thread especially for someone who is just starting to keep sps in my tank. Sorry to push this thread in a different direction but if my kalk alk and mag are in order does that mean my ph will be in order and if not how do you deal with low ph if everything else is in order.
Thanks

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've had my PO4 levels got up to 0.08 and didn't notice anything drastic happening to the SPS. From my experience + 0.03 levels will stun SPS coral growth and give it a different tone (brownish) in color.

I've also found that keeping the levels lower than 0.02 will make the coral appear more pale in color. Bringing me to the conclusion that coral actually color-up nicer with some nutrients in the water column.

Last edited:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
how do you deal with low ph if everything else is in order.
Thanks

One thing you can do is use kalkwasser in your ATO water. If your are going to do kalk thru the ATO, you should do it with a doser and not a float device in your sump. Not only will kalk help your PH levels CAL+ALK, but it will aslo bind phosphates so it can be easily removed by your skimmer. Kalkwasser is very cheap and ease to use. 1-2 tsp of kalk to 1 gallon of RO water is what most people do, But one teaspoon per gallon is the starting recommendation. Make sure to keep your ALK in check, try not exceeding 9dkh. Burning tips of Seriatopora Hystrix sp. are usually a sign that there's an overdose of kalk in the system.

Another is, running a hose from your skimmers intake-air to and outside source for fresh oxygen. Aside from that, try the CO2 scrubber on that same line of the skimmer's intake air. I bought my unit from BRS(http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...ir-filter.html). I also get the media thru them (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...-low-dust.html). When adding fresh media, you should add about 10ML of RO water to the inside of the holding tank. This water will activate the media. I only recommend this to advanced reefers. The reason for that is, your coral will consume less/more ALK+CAL depending on your oxygen levels. So keep a close eye on your ALK+CAL (since they go hand-in-hand, I only test for the ALK) when you first replace the media (as you may need to raise your dosing method). And also again, when it's about 2 1/2 weeks old (as you may need to lower your dosing method). By monitoring your PH, and some getting use to, you will begin to know when its time to replace the media again.

Oh yeah. And the cheapest and easiest way is, by opening a window or proper ventilation of the complete system.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I've had my PO4 levels got up to 0.08 and didn't notice anything drastic happening to the SPS. From my experience + 0.03 levels will stun SPS coral growth and give it a different tone (brownish) in color.

I've also found that keeping the levels lower than 0.02 will make the coral appear more pale in color. Bringing me to the conclusion that coral actually color-up nicer with some nutrients in the water column.

I agree completely. I ran biopellets for over a year in my tank and my PO4 was always 0-.02 but corals weren't any happier than now when I stopped using it and I'm in .03-.04 range. Corals definitely need some nutrients in the tank and starving corals using methods like zeovit is balancing on a thin line IMO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: