pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
After some thought and consideration, I decide to start this thread. Here we can discuss several subjects on how we can better maintain healthy and thriving SPS coral. Btw, I would rather get hands-on opinions and easy to understand breakdowns of whatever topic we're on at that moment (for we know most of us are not college professors, lol). The general idea is to talk about one subject a month. If there's something you would like to add from your own experiences to that monthly subject, please do. And if there is something you have to ask about a post of a prior month's subject, please use the PM's to contact the original person who posted and he/she can better answer your question directly. Using this method should give us depth into all the subjects. And also, something we can always go back to read up on. Now, let's get to the fun.

This month I'll start the festivities with "Water Parameters and the importance of its stability" (since I feel this is the starting point if you're getting into sps). Btw, next month someone else will name the subject of discussion. So, if there's a subject you would like to add, please fell free to PM.

First on that list, PH.
Accepted levels, 7.9-8.45.
Preferred levels, 8.15-8.35.
Now, let's start the interaction :groupflip and get some knowledgeable input on how to maintain those preferred levels.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
most important way to maintain ph in the tank i feel is proper ventilation.keeping a window open to let fresh air hit your system is the easiest wy for me to keep my ph at 8.3.when the window is closed it drops through the day into the 7.5 range.also light in the fuge will help the ph through the night.if you cant get ph up tat way due to system in basement or even sump in the basement you can drip alk through the day and put the air line from your skimmer out a window

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
It took me a while to work out the kinks in my system but I feel vie finally got my ph and other parameters stable using a cal reactor with Milwaukee sms122 controller and kalk added to my ato . I'm not totally happy adding my kalk to my ato would rather run it through a kalk reactor but 1 thing at a time for me in this hobby !
Loving this thread keep it going!!!

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
kalk added to my ato . kalk reactor. 1 thing at a time
Thank you Mattl22.

Now we are getting down to business. KALKWASSER. One the the cheapest and best investments I ever made in this hobby.
Also, one thing at a time. Too many adjustments, in one time, can throw the stability off. And, if you're trying to pin-point an issue, it only makes it harder for you to locate the problem.

Last edited:

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I also agree that ventilation is needed.

Since opening a window in the winter wouldn't be a pleasant thing to do, I suggest running the skimmer air intake to an outside source. I don't know if I personally would place the line directly outside, but I would(and have) run it to a vent for the house. I ran mine to the Gable Vent during the summer in Arizona. The summers there are like our winters; windows stay closed. That kept MY PH steady. :)
commontypesroofatticvents.jpg

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Keeping a vigilant eye on your Alkalinity is paramount. I also wouldn't fixate on specific number of PH
Pratt, your level of reefkeeping is true admiration. Thanks for shinning in buddy.

Low Ph is usually a sign that the alkalinity might be low as well. So as Pratt just said, "Keep a vigilant eye on your alkalinity".

You shouldn't fixate on specific number, anywhere between the mentioned range will work. Also, try not to have flutuations great than 0.3 on a daily basis.

Last edited:

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I suggest running the skimmer air intake to an outside source.
My man Justin (aka Mr. Craftman). Hope all is well buddy, and thanks for the input.

So running the skimmer's air intake to an outside source will boost your PH just about 0.05-0.1 depending on the air quality of that specific day.
Now here's another way on how to get 0.1-0.2 boost thru your skimmers intake. Installing a CO2 removal media filter before the intake line reaches the skimmer. I only recommend this to advanced reefers, as you'll have to keep a good eye on your alkalinity and make adjustments has the media starts to loose its potency.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
+1 on ventilation importance. I keep my stand's door open and it really helps stabilize ph. Maintaining alkalinity levels are another fact. I think ph is a key factor in healthy reef and investing in a ph monitor is a great idea. When it drops you have an early warning that something's wrong in the tank- a fish died or you forgot to add alkalinity buffer. And BTW, great idea for a thread Paul!

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
investing in a ph monitor is a great idea. When it drops you have an early warning that something's wrong in the tank
Thanks Smoq.

Digital PH monitors/controllers are essential in maintaining PH. I found that normal test kits, just don't cut it. If properly calibrated, the unit will give you accurate (with a fluctuation of +/-0.01)readings at all times. Some of the controllers have a log. With that log, we can go back and see the fluctuations during the span of the day. Then, we can fine tune certain equipment that helps to maintain our PH.

Last edited:

Shananagans

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sup Paul.

It's amazing how something as simple as testing your water rather then assume can go over looked. Two times I have had significant sps loss due to not testing, and could have def been caught an prevented.

When I came back from 2 week vacation in Brazil My corals didn't look to hot, but I figured water changes would fix it. Not till I actually test awhile later did I figure out that my cal was low and alk was throught the roof. Since I have been dosing and doing water changes and testing daily. Now that the alk is back in a better range things are stable and corals are coloring up again.

Lesson learned.
TEST YOUR WATER OFTEN.

Jbanks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
+1 on the use of Kalk for ph stabilization.. In additon, it's a great way to help keeping Alk and Calcuim steady (alone on small tanks and as more of an assistant to 2 part or a CR in a large tank), the effect on PH in an oxygen surpressed environment like a closed home or basement is fantastic.. I'm not a fan of using a kalk reactor simply because Kalk is way too cheap and way too easy to add safely to make it into a complex and expesive procedure, especially with larger tanks where adding it directly to topoff water works great with minimal spike to PH. Once I started adding kalk to my tank, I watched my ph go from 7.8 @ night to 8.1 and 8.1 during the day to between 8.3 an 8.4. My corals were doing fine before addidng Kalk, but there has been a visible change since adding it.. The floresence and color of the corals has really improved. In addition, kalk is great for binding phosphates, which are then removed by your skimmer or other means of nutrient export. My tank has far less algae now and I can go four days or more sometimes without having to clean my glass. .. So.... a great way to raise and stabilize ph...get better colors and growth due to less phosphates and less nuisance agae to deal with.... A great all-around additive!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I found for me keeping steady parameters made the world of dif especially alk .also keeping ur cal and alk balanced to me helps the coral absorb it better .I'm still struggling with my ph I've tryeid running the skimmer air intake outside for fresh air and it made no diff I may have to start kalk

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
charlie you have a amazing tank with your sump in the basement with your fuge which is probably 100 gallons and your 120 with a closed canopy i think adding the skimmer line outside just isnt enough.i do tink if you added some fans inside your canopy that sucks air in and blows it out along with a couple of cracked windowss along with the skimmer line out a window yu will see a difference.with the windows closed and with the 2 dogs and birds and no fresh air hiting the tank you wil have a hard time with your PH.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Keep your hands out of the tank, this is one of the things that was hard for me to do, but have noticed the differance since i barely put hands in, and kalk is best not used with a ATO. trust me alls it takes is the float to get stuck or a snail to sit on the float, after a 5k loss from this happening and a almost second time of it happening i use a doser to dose kalk, besides the obvious benifits it also helps precipitate phosphates.

also knowing your tank and equiptment limits.

realizing there is more to stability other then cal, alk and mag.

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
I been hearing from alot of people that the lower your ph is the faster your corals grow. i still believe that the tank looks alot better with higher ph. My tank is right by the window so i keep alot of fresh air going through the system, I also keep my cabinet doors open at all times.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
My corals were doing fine before addidng Kalk, but there has been a visible change since adding it.. The floresence and color of the corals has really improved. In addition, kalk is great for binding phosphates, which are then removed by your skimmer or other means of nutrient export. My tank has far less algae now and I can go four days or more sometimes without having to clean my glass. .. So.... a great way to raise and stabilize ph...get better colors and growth due to less phosphates and less nuisance agae to deal with.... A great all-around additive!
I second everything mentioned here. Very informative Jonathan. After all, I took the kalkwasser plunge after long debations and looking at what benefits you've had with it in your tank. Thanks buddy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: