TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I can't seem to wrap my head around this 75 gallon build. I don't think I can explain it but I'm having flow issues, I think my sump is too small, I really don't know, this is my first plumbed tank, its the biggest I've ever had and I could really use a seasoned hand. I'm in Morris Park and will buy food, Even if you want to call me PLEASE. I've been at this tank for months and I just can't figure it out.

~Dan
(845)-803-3526

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry I didn't follow up on my own thread... Umm I got it to work. I think I'm in good shape. I got a nice collection of hair algae now if anyone is looking for some:splitspin lol. Now all I want to know is if I should start taking measures to get rid of it or do I just let the cycle run its natural course?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Best to try and get rid of it now. You can manually pull the longer pieces and use a stiff brush to scrub more of it off (out of the tank of course!)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It would definitely help you stop growing more of it :)
If you can, do a water change first, the more nutrients you get out of the tank beforehand, the easier it will be for the phosban to do it's job.

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
GREAT! You have completely paid your debt for the lighter I gave you at the swap. I won't mention how quick you lost it but... THANKS!

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is a brand new tank and my first "big one" I was told to let it cycle without the reactor which made sense to me, but they just neglected to tell me when to put it on. So Now I'm gonna put it on. Just need to go get some media.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Whoa!! Is this a new tank that is cycling? I'm soo confused :spin: lol

If the tank is still cycling...are you running lights on it? No need to, and as you can see that will help hair algae grow.
If it is still cycling then I would scrub the snot out of those rocks and get rid of all of the algea. Might be a good idea to test the tank for phosphates too, see if you can find anyone near you who has a Hanna meter to do the test. Wondering if your rocks are leeching phosphates...:scratch:

Also...are you using rodi water?

What else can you tell us about the tank...age, size (75g?), skimmer, what kind of lights, parameters..etc A pic would be good too! :)

SharkLover

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use a turkey baster and blow on the rocks just before you do a water change so all the detritus gets stuck in the water column as you change the water. Great method. Also, increase your water changes to once a week. Once your tanks good to go, a yellow tang will destroy hair algae. just fyi if you dont want to figure out the problem theres always a work around.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: