seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I have had a 55 gallon reef for many years and a 34 gallon Solana. Both tanks were very successful with SPS and LPS.

I came back into the hobby last year with a 10 gallon reef. My tank is over run with clear bubble algae and I have used Vibrant and the bubble algae came back.

I have been doing weekly water changes of 30% to 50% and still can't get rid of it. I have dunked the live rock in Hydrogen Peroxide 12% and clear bubble algae comes back within a week.

I switched from Salifiert Phosphate tester to Hanna ultra low Phospate tester. What a great decision. I have a 14 lbs of live rock in my 10 gallon reef tank. I have a good skimmer.

Parms are as follows:

Phospates .3066, (way too high), salt 1.026, ph 8.3, nitrate 10. calcium 500, good alk and 0 nitrite.

My goal right now, is to get phosphates close to 0.

I do vinegar dosing.

I just started dosing Agent Green Lanthium Choloride. Hoping that it will go down to almost 0 and maybe that will get rid of bubble algae.

I have 4 small fish of 1 inch size, so bio load should be fine. My corals are doing terrible. Bare bottom sand (no live sand)..

Otherwise, I will try to cook rock with vinegar and rodi.

For chemicals, on my 10 gallon tank, I use a water volume of 5 gallons.

When I dose, Agent green lanthanum chloride, my phosphates with 2ml did not go down by 1 ppm daily. So for some reason, I think I need to increase my dosage.

So I am thinking (could be wrong), that my live rock is full of phosphates and am asking that since my phosphates are not making a dent to go lower, I just have to keep dosing lanthanum chloride, until this gets lower. Is this correct? Can live rock have a large amount of phospates and this could be leaching into my tank. Will it eventually, get removed my the lanthanum chloride?

Thank you,

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take out bubble algae grab underneath clusters , try not to break algae if not don't worry,
my 50 aio full of sps frags do better with higher phosphates and higher nitrates around 10 ppm,i feed my fish heavy at night, phosphates stay around .1

if you are going to lower your phosphates due water changes and use chemipure elite.
I have a finnex refugiumwith miracle mud and cheato but either way will work,
just remember go slowly make 1 change at a time,try keep temperature and salinity steady

How old is live rock, as system matures rock gives off hardley no phosphates,
I would stop the chemicals,and vinager, this hobby u need alot of patience
Also you said your corals are doing terrible what kind of corals are doing terrible?
A 10 gallon i think but could be wrong would be hard to keep acros,
maybe you can keep a stylo, maybe a acro valida, or a platting monti ,
i think you would be good with lps, softies etc.

In my 16 month cube with 40 pounds haitian live rock. with radion xr15, orphex strip lights,
brightwells code a anb keeps alk , calcium steady,aminos and reef roids once a week, alot of flow ,frags ihave pink lemonade, vivids rainbow delight, tri color acros, setosa,tubbs stellata, wet thumbs mother of pearl, pinky the bear, efflo acros,
also have dayglow favities and acan on bottom.All these acros are hardy,i lost a few but when my system was under a year,also

Note: I never used Lanthium chloride,
Good luck

Note: I get my bought with bubble algae just take it out,

All encrusting colorful, not getting growth like halides but , acros look healthy not bleaching great polyp extension
also do 10 percent w\c bi weekly tropic marine pro
Also I use ro\di water, thats key

if i were you i would just reboot
take all the rock out acid wash it then bleach it
that would take the phosphates from the rocks
cycle again and go slow
be carefully not to introduce bad algae
and just go slow
with all the money spent on chemicals and stuff it’s not worth it
if you need tester frags when ur ready pm me

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
My 150 had gotten overrun with green bubble algae last year. I know my nutrient levels were high but all the same it spread extremely fast, taking over the rocks, overgrowing corals, and even clogging the overflow. I ended up doing a reboot. It was that bad for me - nothing worked. I went into overdrive - replaced the rock, went as far as giving the tank a bleach treatment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about cooking rock ,I'm a old reefer in the 90s I had primarily Fiji rock ,which was nice never had high phosphates

Just getting back into hobby last year I was told only live rock was haitian if you find it is haitian I am using it on my cube it was high in phosphates first 6 months but settled down nicely.it also is georgous rock,

I guess there are other options learn something new every day
Stay safe everyone

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
As an update. Originally, I wanted a nano tank, with a large wall of corals. I saw some tanks and they looked beautiful. Since I had many parms stabilization issues (especially high phosphates), also bubble algae, I am going to do these steps:

1) use vinegar soak for 3 days all live rock.
2) bleach rock.
3) use a declorinator.
4) cure dead rock.
5) after curing, remove all animals and fish from display tank and clean.
5) put back fish and what is left of corals into display tank and start over.

I will see how this goes.

Thanks for your feedback.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I have taken out live rock multiple times and put in hydrogen peroxide and then scrubed it with a wire brush and it goes away and comes back.

I don't want an emerald crab, in my nano 10 gallon tank, I worried about my small fish and in this tank, that is all I have.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Finally, success with my 10 gallon nano tank.

After more than 1 year, happy with my tank. SPS and softies doing well.

Lessons learned...

Major issue was my hair and bubble algae. What made the success. Yellow tang is a munching machine (thanks so much to John70) and a good clean up crew. Vibrant was a short term success that had stopped working.

I also was way off on tank lighting with an LED. Needed a par meter to realize I was burning my corals.

I use to have more standard size tanks, that were easier to obtain right sized equipment for. Nano tanks are unique sized and equipment is harder to judge for.

Going forward, looking to focus more on SPS.

Thanks,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: