jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Dave found them and I didnt because I always though I would be able to see them. I had all the signs but never though I had AEFW. Signs include "STN", marks and blotches on coral,I also noticed a deacrease in polyp extension on infected corals. I thought it was a specific water parameter or toxin etc...

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
It doesn't matter where they came from at this point, we pass corals around like a $2 hoe.

Step 1 Identify
step 2 denial :D
step 3 treat
step 4 prevention

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Deanos said:
:scratch: Stickied thread?! Not even 1 pic of an AEFW. Someone :help:
We have a whole section on pests! Why don't people use it, :scratchch ?

I uploaded about 10-15 pictures of them and alot of information on them also.
Here is one pic showing how hard it is to ID them on a SPS.
Can you see them?

adults07.jpg

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Eggs

The eggs are laid typically on dead coral skeleton, where the flatworms have already killed the tissue. Down in crevasses where water flow is restricted is another high incident area to find the eggs. However, the eggs have been found on superglue, plugs, and even the side of zooanthids.
(image from geshields from Reef Central)
acroflatworms1.JPG

eggs04.jpg

eggs06.jpg

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The eggs are laid typically on dead coral skeleton, where the flatworms have already killed the tissue. Eggs have been found on superglue, plugs, and even the side of zooanthids as seen in this image.
(image from geshields from Reef Central)

Acroflatwormseggs2.JPG

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
oh damn :banghead:
I just skimmed the toop thread Rich posted from RC,
what a nightmare these are. at least you found them.

one person on the thread mentioned a Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres ornatissimus) might be eating his AEFW's.

I also read that so far no dip, or medication had been found to kill the eggs, is this correct? can we edit daves first post and list just the known facts, so they are all in one easy to find place.

fwiw, weatherson had the best pics in that thread of the AEFW's I've seen yet.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
4-5 months I suspect.

These are great pics but they seem to be extreme. I would have noticed something like that. A coral with little STN on the base, creaping up a little, maybe a white circle or two, could be infested with flatworms. It's not always as noticable as in those pics, thats why I didnt know I had them.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have not noticed any of the symptoms mentioned, all my acros appear healthy.

no bleaching, no stn, no spots, and my acro's PE is fine on every piece.

I will be looking more closely now for signs of eggs and bleaching.

I guess this will force me to set up a QT tank again.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jackson6745 said:
These are great pics but they seem to be extreme. I would have noticed something like that. A coral with little STN on the base, creaping up a little, maybe a white circle or two, could be infested with flatworms. It's not always as noticable as in those pics, thats why I didnt know I had them.

Most of those pics are macro shots and out of the tank. Unless someone removed each unhealthy coral and inspected for AEFW, I suspect they'd be virtually invisible on coral while still in the tank.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
:fingerscrossed: I have none.

I've been reading a few of the threads. The AEFW's seem to be the worst bug yet that acropora keepers have faced. They are coming in on wild and aquacultered colonys from bali, QT is mandatory.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
jhale said:
:fingerscrossed: I have none.

I've been reading a few of the threads. The AEFW's seem to be the worst bug yet that acropora keepers have faced. They are coming in on wild and aquacultered colonys from bali, QT is mandatory.

They're not so tough:Up_to_som

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: